PDA

View Full Version : Has this happened to you?

Pages : 1 [2]

imported_rydawg
02-07-2007, 05:42 PM
When I first started detailing, the dealership I worked for used to really beef up the "Perma Plate" contracts. They would call it a "special finish" and that the customer should only take it to the dealerships body shop for detail work.

At the time the dealership was paying $50 for each Perma Plate contract, getting the product for free, and charging over $700 for the service. When you charge $700 for a service that takes 30 minutes to apply, you have to call it "Special".

This could be what they are talking about..

Now that is crazy!!!

I am too cheap!

salty
02-07-2007, 08:27 PM
OH BOY! I did that once to a fender of some guy that had to see to believe it and he was happy as could be and I had an appointment the next day for his car. The next day his wife called me up and said she was going to sue me for doing that to her fender and that they did not have the money to finish it and if I could not match the rest of the car she was going to take pics and take me to court. We bickered back and forth and I ended up doing just the exterior for $50 for a settlement in full .

I would have said OK, i will put the buffer swirls back.

For the know it all types, direct them to Autopia.

My lastest story is from yesterday. Lady phones about cleaning her `91 Accord for resale (GULP). After talking to her and describing what should be done, for resale, she just wants a clean interior, with spot shampoo if needed (GULP). 16 years old.

I give her my $ per hour and say around 3 hours. She then says she has had it done for $50 before and it was imacculate, even Armour All`d. She said who did the cleaning, and she got he $50 worth.

I went on to say i was busy for at least a week and gave her a few other numbers to call.

I didn`t have the heart to tell her i was resale cleaning an `04 Ram 2500 Diesel for $370.

If she was happy with her $50 clean, so be it.

Allred00535
02-07-2007, 08:39 PM
Now that is crazy!!!

I am too cheap!

I wonder what they are charging for that nowdays? I know it has dropped a bit. It was a product that guarenteed the paint to keep its "like new" look for something like 7 years or until you sold the vehicle.

They also made it for the interior as well.

I guess it was a smart idea..but somewhat short-lived im assuming.

Scottwax
02-07-2007, 11:33 PM
My lastest story is from yesterday. Lady phones about cleaning her `91 Accord for resale (GULP). After talking to her and describing what should be done, for resale, she just wants a clean interior, with spot shampoo if needed (GULP). 16 years old.

I give her my $ per hour and say around 3 hours. She then says she has had it done for $50 before and it was imacculate, even Armour All`d. She said who did the cleaning, and she got he $50 worth.

I went on to say i was busy for at least a week and gave her a few other numbers to call.

I didn`t have the heart to tell her i was resale cleaning an `04 Ram 2500 Diesel for $370.

If she was happy with her $50 clean, so be it.

That is exactly why I dropped my yellow page listing. Nothing but interior detail calls for crappy, old cars. That just isn`t my market. Let the hackers have the cheapskates.

imported_rydawg
02-07-2007, 11:47 PM
That is exactly why I dropped my yellow page listing. Nothing but interior detail calls for crappy, old cars. That just isn`t my market. Let the hackers have the cheapskates.

Ain`t that the truth. I really hate doing bad interiors. I am an exterior pro and I specialize in that, but I will freshen up an interior. I do interiors as a bonus package with the exterior. If they only want the interior done it is $100 and up.

I am gonna go out and invest a couple of grand this spring on a steamer and extractor jusy for that. After borrowing my friends steamer a couple years back, I could not believe how handy they are. I steamed all the dirt out of every crack of the interior, took all the old years of dried wax out of cracks, steamed the engine, cleaned the wheels better than anything I have ever used. This was one of the best tools that I have ever used till I found out it was over $1000. Now they are down to $700 and I want one bad!