PDA

View Full Version : Ordering new car - ask them not to wash it?

papillon
02-07-2007, 12:34 PM
Hi,

I am probably going to be ordering a new Mini Cooper S shortly. I think I am going to order black, although I might go for silver, I don`t know yet.

Anyway, should I ask them not to wash the car? I know this has been discussed here before. Do I ask them to literally hand it to me in the same state that they receive it? What work will I need to do to get rid of any film that`s on it?

Thank you.

quantim0
02-07-2007, 12:37 PM
I told my dealer not to touch anything on my GTO. Of course it ended up coming from another dealer that washed it previously. It was nice and swirled up for me. If it`s coming fresh to the lot, tell them not to touch it.

BMW335i
02-07-2007, 12:44 PM
You never, ever want the dealer to wash your car (or anyone else for that matter). They simply don`t care enough about it.

imported_GregCavi
02-07-2007, 12:45 PM
You never, ever want the dealer to wash your car (or anyone else for that matter). They simply don`t care enough about it.

Ditto

Greg

trl2112
02-07-2007, 01:13 PM
NO Dealer prep!! Get it with the plastic still on it if you can. My steps would be wash and clean all the adhesive\film off with PB’s Bug Squash or similar product, then wash>clay>wash>protect

Accumulator
02-07-2007, 01:14 PM
There are some threads that go into this in depth and those are probably worth the dreaded search. Short answer: take it in the wrap guard (but risk having bad paint from the factory that they`ll say "tough" about) or remove the wrap guard yourself at the dealership the way Bill D did on his mom`s Benz. Heh heh, it`s an opportunity to show them how to do it right ;)

Oh, and I`d give a fair bit of thought to the black vs. silver question. Just how much time do you plan to spend on detailing, questions like that....

imported_Astral
02-07-2007, 01:28 PM
papillon, check this thread out (http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/57256-new-car-prep-autopian-style.html). It covers entirely the new car prep process. I would ask the detailer to take off the white protective sheets, remove some residue and then leave it alone. Or you can do *everything*.

BlueLibby04
02-07-2007, 02:12 PM
We just got a new 06 Grand not long ago, and my dad didnt know to ask them NOT to wash it. I was amazed when it came home and it had ZERO swirls. Ive never worked hard enough to get all the swirls out of my Jeep, so thats the first time ive ever seen paint that doesnt have swirls in it. Its a very weird feeling! Looks freakin sweet too!