PDA

View Full Version : New clear coat too shiny

mglyder
02-07-2007, 11:00 AM
A couple of months ago, several chunks of a truck tire hit the front bumper, hood and right front fender of my 2005 Mercedes. The body shop that I took it to replaced the front bumper, removed the dents from the hood and right front fender and repainted all three sections. The car is silver metallic. The body shop did a great job and the color match is great but the right front fender looks way too shiny compared to the rest of the right side of the car. It also looks slightly darker in certain lighting conditions and from certain angles but I think it is really due to the shinier clear coat.

I have always kept the car in near mint condition and the remaining factory paint is in great shape and does not have any door dings or other issues. Is there any way that buffing out the rest of the right side of the car will help make the factory painted panels blend better with the repainted panels?

The manager of the body shop said that I could bring the car back and they would try buffing the factory painted panels but I definitely want to take a stab at it myself first. I don’t want them messing up my factory paint by buffing it incorrectly. I have a PC and have used it successfully in the past to correct some problem areas on my Corvette. What do you all recommend? Can you recommend any particular products?

The only picture I have right now at work only shows the repainted hood and front bumper. I don`t have a picture showing the right side of the car. The car also has it`s winter wheels and tires installed in the picture.

Thanks for your help.

Matt

Wetwerks
02-07-2007, 11:07 AM
Silver is by far the one of the hardest colors to match. Sounds like from your description that the body shop did not blend the clear correctly when they shot it. You would be hard pressed to do that type of correction with a PC. I would see about getting some measurements with a PTG on all repainted panels, then look at high speed correction. That is of course dependant upon actual thickness on all the panels. You will probably find the "shiny" side to be thinner overall, compared to the other repainted panels.

Walter

Co-owner

mglyder
02-07-2007, 03:28 PM
Thanks Walter. I`m thinking that maybe I should take the car back to the body shop and have them repaint the right front fender and blend it into the right front door some.

Wetwerks
02-07-2007, 03:42 PM
No problem. :D

Walter

Co-owner