PDA

View Full Version : Help on Swirls & Tiny light scratches

Greenhaba
04-29-2005, 08:11 AM
I`m new to detailing. Having a lot of trouble with getting out swirls and tiny light scratches in the clear coat. You detail guys make it sound sooo easy.
Using a new foam applicator. I`ve used Meg`s Scratch X with little success 4x, I tried Pinnacle Swirl Remover with little success 3x, I then tried Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover and made it worse and cloudy. I went back to Scratch X but still looks swirly and cloudy.

I am planning on purchasing a PC. But if it looks this bad by hand. It may look worse with power tools.

Help

Rick

VroomVroom
04-29-2005, 10:07 AM
You`ll get some great advice here. Probably not from me, but some great advice nonetheless. :)

It took me awhile to buy a PC, and now I ask myself why I waited so long. The marks & scratches I could never remove by hand before are now gone after a few minutes.

In the short term, I`ve had good success with Scratch X when applied with a terry applicator. When doing things by hand, I tend to only use the foam pad for wax or sealant. I`ve also found that the Poorboys SSR series works well by hand, but I`ve only used that approach for very small sections.

For light scratches & swirls I`ve tried Four Star`s ultimate SMR. It works really well, but they key is "light" - it doesn`t seem to be effective on moderate or heavy scratches. I`ve also had success with Meguiars DACP and I absolutely love the Poorboys SSR line. On my own truck I`ve gone from SSR2 to SSR1 to EX-P with outstanding results.

Take care,
Jerry

GregCavi
04-29-2005, 03:49 PM
I can assure you that with a pc and the right polish you will be able to take out the little swirls and some minor scratches. Its well worth the money and you will never regret buying it. You can buy the pc at lowes if you want. I think its less that $100? correct me if im wrong someone. Then you can order the pads you will need from our sponsers along with some polishes. I would get a cutting pad, a couple polishing pads, and a finishing pad.

HTH

Greg

Dave R32
04-29-2005, 05:22 PM
I have found that without a PC or similar removing swirls and marring is tough work, I struggled for while by hand with similar results to what you are getting.

Finally like the other guys I bit the bullet and purchased a Random Orbital, some quality pads and now it`s a LOT easier.........not always very easy, but a LOT easier !!

If you have to work by hand, I found Terry or Microfibre applicators work best with SMR`s. Start with the least aggressive product that works then step down the next one, this method should take care of the marring you may introduce.

EG: Start with SSR2.5, then SSR1.0 then Polish, then Wax or Sealant.

HTH

Dave.