PDA

View Full Version : Paint Repair Help ~ Dallas

RRnTexas
02-06-2007, 06:51 PM
I have a two-month old Acura MDX grey metallic. A couple of days ago I inadvertently backed into a concrete post which put a minor dent in the rear of the vehicle. While the dent is barely noticeable, there is some damage on the paint which I would like to fix. On the crease of the rear body panel, the paint was scratched all the way to the metal. There are a couple of other minor scratches as well. The deep scrape is on a crease on the corner of the car and is about 2 inches long and about 1 millimeter wide.

I apparently have three options:

1) I could bring it to a body shop, but my guess is they would repaint the whole panel. I do not think the damage justifies ‘breaking the paint” on a new car.

2) I could use touch up paint on it.

3) I was at the Acura dealership getting a couple of other items fixed and the salesman told me that there is a dude that comes to their dealership a couple of times per week that fixes paint scrapes and stuff on used cars there. Apparently he uses a needle to apply paint to scrapes.

I am leaning toward option 3 above. But before I did that I wanted to get some feedback from ya’ll.

Questions:

1) Are there any other options to fix the paint?

2) Does anyone know of someone in the Dallas area that could fix it properly?

3) What would you do?

Thanks for your help,

RR

audicoupej
02-06-2007, 07:01 PM
I would try and fix it myself following advice/threads from autopia. There are many threads if you search paint chips, touch up, etc. It won`t cost much and if it is not satisfactory you have the other options.

Metallics tend to be hard to touch up. So there is always a chance that none of those options will be 100% perfect to an autopian eye.

If you go to the dealers guy or a body shop ask to see samples of their work and then you can judge if it is a better job than you can do yourself.

Good luck!

imported_themightytimmah
02-06-2007, 07:49 PM
I`d go for #3 - just ask him to show you some of his completed work, I`m sure theres a few examples of it out on the dealer`s used lot. My rule of thumb is 5 feet - if you can see the repairs from there without someone pointing them out, find a different touchup guy.

Scottwax
02-06-2007, 08:10 PM
I`d polish the area out first to see if you can remove enough of the scuffing and paint transfer to be acceptable.

If it does need some sort of repainting, the only body shop I recommend in the Dallas area is Mister Collision off 35 and Royal. I think he does have a touch-up guy but I am not positive.