PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on backing plate and pads

atc1
02-04-2007, 01:04 PM
First off..thanks to everyone that shares information on this forum. I was able to take advantage of a Lowe`s special on a PC 7336 (thanks to this forum).

Next step is to order a backing plate and pads. Any recommendations on package pricing or starter kits are appreciated. (please provide links if possible)

I have a 1992 black Accord. Needless to say, I have my work cut out for me.

I appreciate your time and expertise in responding.

mikebai1990
02-04-2007, 01:10 PM
Glad to hear you were able to get the PC at the discounted price.

If you do a search, you will see the pad question is asked very often on this forum. There are 3 main brands of pads that most people use. Edge, Lake Country, and Meguiars. I personally use Lake Country pads. For your car, a good selection would be orange cutting pad, white polishing pad, and maybe a gray finishing pad. Places like Autogeek.net stock the Lake Country pads. I don`t know too much about the other pads, but I`m sure someone will chime in and help you out.

Welcome to Autopia!

atc1
02-04-2007, 01:25 PM
Thanks Mikebai1990.

I performed several searches and learned a lot before my 1st post. It appears that everyone agrees that a 5" plate and 6 1/2" pads are the way to go.

I looked at a couple of links that provide different backing plates and pads. All of your opinions are welcomed.

Eliot Ness
02-04-2007, 03:37 PM
I would get 1 or 2 orange pads (light cut), at least 2 white pads (polishing), and 1 or 2 black pads (finishing), and a 5" or 6" backing plate (I personally like the 5"). You can get it all from Danase plus a 10% discount:

6.5" Foam Flat Pads by Lake Country (http://www.danase.com/6foflpabylac.html)

a.k.a. Patrick
02-04-2007, 06:06 PM
Thanks Mikebai1990.

It appears that everyone agrees that a 5" plate and 6 1/2" pads are the way to go.

Oh, I guess I wasnt in that survey. I always go with a 6" BP and 6.5" pads.