PDA

View Full Version : Detailing clay differences....

RTexasF
02-02-2007, 08:56 PM
I`ve used detailing clay since 1996, that`s when I was first introduced to it. Now I`m realizing there are various grades of clays......some fine, some more coarse. I`ve always used, well, clay from wherever it was available not knowing there were discreet differences.

Would you folks mind giving me your 2 cents worth on how various brand names fall into the fray? For instance, what brand(s) would be a fine clay and what brand(s) would be an aggressive clay? I doubt I could tell one from another by look and feel.

I`ve always had the same satisfactory results regardless of brand so I`m a little confused as to why one would be better than the other. What circumstances would call for an "aggressive" clay? Obviously a new car would not require this but even old nasty dogs I`ve done with "no name" clay came out to my satisfaction. And that says a lot, it`s right or wrong in my book....no such thing as just okay.

Is there really something to this or is it crapolla from various vendors? I look forward to all replies. Perhaps I`m not the only one confused about this and it will help others at the same time.

clnfrk
02-02-2007, 09:29 PM
I`d like to know also. I have found that the Mother`s clay is nowhere near strong enough to remove some contaminants mainly the small rust spots about the size of a ballpoint pen tip. I did however purchase the Meguiar`s clay on my last detail and found that this clay seemed like it is much more effective due to the feel of it. Due to the dark color of the car, I really couldn`t see any rust spots, but I`m sure they were there.

The Meguiar`s clay had a noticeably stiffer feel to it and seemed to be much more durable than the Mother`s. I also recently tried Pinnacle`s clay that I have had for quite sometime now but never opened. Results were very similar to Mother`s, which is to say not much cleaning power.

a.k.a. Patrick
02-02-2007, 11:34 PM
Heres a little clip I took from a while back. I was leary of posting it but you bring up a valid interest.

This first bit is of a light abrasive clay brand. Its end result is ok, but i just dont care for the consistency of it, which can make it kind of difficult to manage.

<embed width="430" height="389" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://s14.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid14.photobucket.com/albums/a304/exceldetail/P1040317.flv"></embed>

This second bit is a Medium abrasive clay. Much easier to use, kneed and just a generaly completely different atmosphere to work with.

<embed width="430" height="389" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://s14.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid14.photobucket.com/albums/a304/exceldetail/P1040316-1.flv"></embed>

David Fermani
02-03-2007, 07:51 AM
a.k.a. Patrick - What brand of clays were those 2?

RTexasF
02-03-2007, 09:11 AM
Patrick-

For some reason I have audio only on the videos??????!!!!!!!! What brands, in your opinion, are lightweights and which are more aggressive?

SVR
02-04-2007, 08:06 AM
Meidum Aggressive - clay magic red

Fine aggressive - clay magic blue,3M blue, werkstatt prep clay (very soft so easy to knead)

Ultra fine - sonus green, meg`s mild

Meg`s clay I`ve always found too hard to knead and bars too small

here`s a question

Anyone put normal or chemical polish on the car and then clayed.

Works well if your in a hurry and only need a very mild polishing.

a.k.a. Patrick
02-04-2007, 10:10 AM
a.k.a. Patrick - What brand of clays were those 2?

That, I wont bring to lite......However,

What I have used before would include, Optimum (2 varieties, black and grey), Mothers, Sonus (2 Varieties, green and Grey), Poorboys (2 varieties Yellow and grey), Clay Magic, Meguiars, and theres a few more I cant remember...

I loved the Poorboys yellow and both Optimums. I mean they all work, some are just a little nicer then others. I think the worst one I used was from Megs a couple years ago, it was white and literally melted with water or lube......

itb76
02-04-2007, 10:47 PM
I think the worst one I used was from Megs a couple years ago, it was white and literally melted with water or lube......

Several years ago I bought some Megs "overspray clay" I think it was called. It was white, hard, and did not seem to pick up "rail dust" as well as 3M, Mothers or Clay Magic blue. I think it`s quite different from the Quik Clay they sell now. I use the blue Clay Magic now, but I`m not sure it`s the best.

RTexasF
02-05-2007, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the responses, every bit helps.