PDA

View Full Version : 100% cotton towels for drying?

Pages : [1] 2 3

tyoung
02-02-2007, 06:09 PM
A couple other places, including Zaino reccomend using only 100% made in the USA cotton bath towels for drying. They also reccomend staying away from micro fiber. :think2

I gotta admit I`m confused. I have found high quality bath towels on sale at places like Macys or those bath stores and always wondered about using them for drying. But I assumed they would cause swirls. Anybody use them? How are the results?

Seankf1105
02-02-2007, 06:29 PM
also what about lint? :confused:

isnt one of the advantages with using microfiber is that it doesnt leave behind lint?

BigJimZ28
02-02-2007, 06:31 PM
I think it`s just old advise

trhland
02-02-2007, 06:39 PM
never never ever !!!use towels for drying trust me they will leave little scratches in your paint.over time. i know from experience. i only use microfiber towels for drying.

tyoung
02-02-2007, 06:46 PM
I think it`s just old advise

That`s what I figured. Maybe fear of embracing a new method or something.

kt2000
02-02-2007, 06:49 PM
That`s what I figured. Maybe fear of embracing a new method or something.

would you guys use the cotton applicators zaino gives you?

trhland
02-02-2007, 07:06 PM
i only uses micro fiber applicators. i have all dark colored trucks so they show every little micro scratch so i do every thing to avoid scratches...

David Fermani
02-02-2007, 08:39 PM
A couple other places, including Zaino reccomend using only 100% made in the USA cotton bath towels for drying. But I assumed they would cause swirls. Anybody use them? How are the results?

Lint free terrys are the only thing I feel the need to use and I do not have any marring problems what so ever. I think people create damage to their vehicles from improper washing, not from drying. Go for it.

Spilchy
02-02-2007, 09:14 PM
Make sure the entire towel is 100% cotton like the base and edges and not just the loops. Best thing to do pluck a strand and burn it. If it burns up into an ash and disappears it is cotton. If it burns into a black, plastic, hard ball it is not 100% cotton.

My local auto parts place sells 100% Viking towels that are genuinely 100% cotton. I use them for interior work.

Just proceed with caution.

harvey
02-02-2007, 09:23 PM
Why would a maker of one of the best car cleaning products put his reputation on line by recommending the use of cotton if it did not make sense. Remember Sal is talking about high quality American made bath towels. Those thing can cost a ton of dough. Stop by high end store and price the towel you will be in for a shock. I am sure the people who complained about towels are using relatively inexpense towels or towels that their wifes or mothers gave them.

Spilchy
02-02-2007, 09:40 PM
I`ve been in Bed Bath & Beyond and searched out the high priced towels. Most are NOT made in the USA. They`re made in countries heavily into textiles like Pakistan and India. Plus, these towels also have a coating on them when new to make the feel super soft to the customer in the store.

Fieldcrest used to be the choice of cotton towels in the past - made in the USA, high quality, etc... But I don`t see them anymore and the ones I do are from overseas.

Secondly, his recommendation has been on his website since day one, long before the onset of high quality microfiber or even microfiber in general. I remember he was unsure about microfiber because not all of it was safe like those coming from China. That comment used to be on his site. I`m not sure if it still there.

Again, the best thing to do is the common burn test like I mentioned. This way you know if you truly have 100% cotton.

What makes and / or "high end" stores do you recommend for cotton towels that you`ve used that are 100% made in the USA cotton towels?

imported_mosborn9
02-02-2007, 10:29 PM
would you guys use the cotton applicators zaino gives you?

The problem I have had with the cotton applicators is that it becomes saturated and I end up wasting a lot of product. I use the Meguiar`s foam pads and don`t have the saturation problem, plus I have a lot more control around molding, door handles, etc.

harvey
02-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Good point about the cotton towel recommendation being old. Call Sal at Zainos and ask if he still recommends towels.

On your other question, my wife buy me towel at Bloomingdales in NY. Bed, Bath and Beyond is not high end. However, you may well be correct about the country of origin, as almost nothing is made in this country. That does not mean it cannot be top quality stuff. All you need to do is look at where the best cars are made.

Spilchy
02-03-2007, 11:32 AM
Bed, Bath and Beyond is not high end.

Sal recommends Bed Bath & Beyond and Linens and Things for cotton towels.

I`m in "Bloomies" all the time and their towels are no different than BB&B. In fact BB&B has a much larger selection.

Bloomingdale`s: Search (http://search.bloomingdales.com/exec/?PseudoCat=b.comSearch&c=16&n=1&q=bath+towel&all=u1&u1=q)

Now look at the pages of selections and prices at BB&B. Plus BB&B mails out 20% off coupons like they`re going out of style. You can walk in with like 10 of them! Or they have $5 off any purchase over $20 coupons too.

Bed Bath & Beyond Search (http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/SearchSKU.asp?order_num=-1&sstr=bath+towel&LIMIT=0&COLOR=0&RNT=0&BTSmode=false&BRND=0&RN=&IPPsearch=40)

Eliot Ness
02-03-2007, 11:46 AM
If you want to use an all natural towel you might want to try the DF Concours Towel (http://www.dftowel.com/ordertowels.html):

"Our flagship product, the DFĂ‚® Concours Towel, is an exceptionally soft, highly absorbent terrycloth. The fabric is woven from our own unique AlpineFiber™ yarn. AlpineFiber™ is made entirely of a blend of microfiber Cotton and Pima Cotton, no artificial fibers of any kind are used in the weaving or sewing of this amazing product."

While I`m not sure you would call them 100% cotton (Leo at DFT could explain that better than I could), their site does say their textile products have been approved by Zaino:

"........ After extensive testing Sal Zaino has declared our AlpineFiberĂ‚® to be safe to use with their Show Car Polishes to produce a scratch free, swirl free shine. Our products are the only all natural towels and related products to receive this coveted endorsement........"

Not my first choice for drying, I still prefer a soft WW, these are a very good towel for wax and polish removal.