PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista... Anyone have it yet???

Pages : [1] 2 3

Whitethunder46
02-02-2007, 03:03 PM
Anybody upgrade their PC`s or laptops to the new Vista yet??

I`m seriously thinking about getting the Home Premium update version.

Any thoughts on Vista from first hand experience from the officially released versions??? My friend has tried it on a 1, 2, and 3 gb of RAM computer and said it was really nice on the larger RAMs.

imported_truzoom
02-02-2007, 06:32 PM
I`m stickin with XP for personal use for a year or two more. I`m pretty sure I`ll end up using it at work, so I`m in no rush to get it.

Dan
02-02-2007, 07:32 PM
I usually get the new MS oses when they come out but all the stupid packages have me reconsidering it all together. Home and Pro was as complicated as it needed to be.

Whitethunder46
02-02-2007, 08:42 PM
Well I`ve been looking into it. From hundreds of personal reviews I`ve read about it so far, you either absolutely hate it or absolutely love it.

Joshua312
02-02-2007, 09:39 PM
I will not be upgrading to Windows Vista, instead I will be upgrading to Mac OS X Leopard and a new Mac Book in the near future. I have used the Office 2007 suite and hate it, as for Vista, I should have my hands on a copy at work to use for testing within a few months. It is going to be a very hard transition for many of our employees and for myself as well. It is just such a different interface and the graphical interface in Office programs is beyond useless, it is just plain confusing and unnecessary. With Mac, the incorporation of the graphical interface you find useful, with Office 2007 it just seems overboard and confusing.

I think a lot of people will love Vista because it looks pretty, but if it isn`t easy to use then looks only go so far, especially with users who don`t have a lot of computer knowledge.

My .02 - - By the way anyone see the new commercials Apple has launched making fun of Vista? :clap:

Whitethunder46
02-03-2007, 01:32 AM
Well, I caved in and bought it tonight. After reading over a hundred personal reviews I realized people either absolutely hated it or loved it, NO in between. No offense to anyone, but the ones who said they hated it were really picking it apart it seemed and I really had no idea what they were talking about. Anyways, it took exactly 90 minutes to install. Didn`t lose one single file in the upgrade process which was great. Simply put in the CD, clicked install, and then clicked "Upgrade." Didn`t have to touch it again for 80 min, and then I just had to say "ok" twice to the time zones and date. Left it alone for another 10 min. and it was good to go.

The only problem I ran into was that it tried to run a different graphic card/driver that I don`t have or something. It was odd, because after I fixed the resolution and stuff, all the font and taskbars were fine and the correct size. However the screen was stretched from left to right and the desktop icons were a little large. Since I have an HP, it came with this very useful recovery thing for drivers and disc recovery. So I pulled up the start menu and re-installed my NVidia graphic driver. Re-booted, fixed the resolution again but this time wtih the NVidia card and I`m perfect.

Been on it for about 30 min. so far and has some pretty neat features. Nothing too special for me, but I know I was going to buy Vista eventually so I might as well get it now. I figure when the updates do come out, I`ll have them immediately so everything should be good!

WSUcommuter
02-03-2007, 05:52 AM
I`ve watched MS release systems since Windows 3.1 and each time they do it seems like it takes them about a year to get all the bugs worked out to where I`d trust them. Hopefully for those who have Vista already this pattern doesn`t repeat itself.

atticdog
02-03-2007, 07:46 AM
I have it installed on my other hardrive but haven`t used it much yet

a few months ago you could download Vista RC1 from MS and they gave you a cdkey good for a year

klnyc
02-03-2007, 09:39 AM
Im currently running it now, I was running from beta 1 to RC2(gold version).

Now, Im running the Ultimate version(MSDN ver) which pretty stable so far.

Make sure you have atleast 1gig of ram or better and the video card, you want atleast 128meg or better. For cpu I have AMD 3400 which is ok too, I think duo core wil the best. Good luck.

imported_Frugle
02-03-2007, 10:36 AM
I kind of like vista... it incorporates great features that I love about OS X.

For the past 3 years, I`ve been an apple guy, I have a Macbook Pro, 12" powerbook, and an iBook, so I`ve kind of made my PCs obsolete.

But, once 10.5 comes out, and boot camp is offical... I`m going to install windows onto my MacBook Pro, and I think I might just go ahead and buy vista....don`t know yet though.

topnotchtouch
02-03-2007, 01:21 PM
I have yet to find a compelling reason to move to Vista, especially while it is still in it`s infancy. I am one of those "if it ain`t broke, why fix it" kind of guys. I only moved from Win2K to WinXP when Microsoft stopped officially supporting Win2K and that will likely be when I move from WinXP to Vista unless Microsoft comes out with some other reason that makes it something I just have to have. Seems to me Microsoft usually ditches an OS once they finally get it right ;)

Mr_Elusive
02-03-2007, 02:47 PM
I bought a PC back in December, my copy of Vista Home Premium is coming in the mail. I`ll let you guys know how it is.

sevenrd
02-03-2007, 03:49 PM
Mac OSX here. So...no.

:)

Joshua312
02-03-2007, 05:33 PM
I move from WinXP to Vista unless Microsoft comes out with some other reason that makes it something I just have to have. Seems to me Microsoft usually ditches an OS once they finally get it right ;)

Microsoft will be supporting XP until 2017 so you have plenty of time until you have to switch...by then there will be a new OS coming out :)

paul34
02-03-2007, 05:43 PM
At any rate, I`ll be waiting to see whether I can get it cheaper through my university. A student definitely can`t afford OS upgrades! (especially when there`s no justification considering there`s no real advantage to Vista making it upgrade... well, not yet anyway).