PDA

View Full Version : WHEN to use QUICK DETAILER???

truereligion
02-02-2007, 12:04 PM
The prblem is that a day after i wash and wax my car it gets all dusty. Is this what the qd was meant for? will it break down the wax(i use colorx) and make the beading stop or will it enhance the layer of wax and add protection?

imported_JoshVette
02-02-2007, 12:14 PM
Depends on which detailer you`re using.

Mainly they are meant to be used after washing or when very lightly dusty on garage queens.

DirtySouth
02-02-2007, 12:18 PM
I would recommend some kind of car duster that you can just quickly go over the car to remove any surface dust. If you`ve got bird droppings, mud splatter or any other dense deposits, the QD would be your next option.

imported_icall
02-02-2007, 12:28 PM
I carry mother`s showtime QD in my trunk with a MF towel for bird sh!t and other "accidents" that may etch into the paint if they wait for the next wash. Many "experts"(professional detailers) have told me that QD doesn`t remove other layers but won`t really boost the sealant either. I`m told the Jeff Werkstadt(spelling) acrylic spray WILL boost your sealant and can be used as a "quick detailer" after a wash.

Just remember, even when your car is lathered with suds, you can still marr the paint by dragging dirt across the car(hence two bucket wash technique). Any time you`re rubbing anything on your car that is not completely clear of contaminates, you risk marring. Even after a good wash, when I dry with waffle weaves, I like to blot dry(place weave on car and push down, not rub, then move WW to another area of the car and repeat).

Short answer: Don`t use it for what the bottle says. Use it to remove very bad stuff from your paint. If you really want to "brighten" your shine after a wash, have at it. Seriously, after a wash, clay, Klasse AIO, 2-3 layers of SG, all you really need is a wash once a week with a quality shampoo(I like the Meguiars Gold) and careful hand dry, your car will look like it was just waxed.

Smashraj84
02-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Light dust is the perfect situation to use a QD. Just use common sense. If you`re getting some really grimy stuff off your car, you should just use a two-bucket wash. If your MF towels are relatively clean after each wipe, you`ll be fine. You don`t want to be marring your paint with heavy dirt. You`ll figure out the limitations of your QD.

tyoung
02-02-2007, 12:45 PM
For light dust, smudges, fingerprints etc. I use a QD. I QD quite a bit with no problems. For heavier dust, minor road grime etc I use ONR in QD strength or Poorboys Spray & Wipe. Much dirtier than that, I do a conventional or ONR wash.

Also when you QD, use the plushest MF`s you can find, and switch to a clean side after each panel. These super plush MF`s from Patrick at Excel Detail are pretty much the best I`ve used Extreme Green Super Plush Microfiber 12x16 (http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?ref=exceldetail&ct=29280&pd=292630). I also like the Viking green detailing MF`s from Kmart. Super soft and fluffy. This has helped me stay mar free.

Accumulator
02-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Like icall, while I`ll use a QD to remove a bird-bomb if I can`t wash, I don`t QD otherwise except after a regular wash.

While others may be able to do it, *I* can`t do stuff like QDing/dusting without marring the paint. So I imply don`t touch the paint unless I`m doing a regular/proper wash. If my car is dusty, oh well, that`s what happens when I drive it.

tyoung
02-02-2007, 02:21 PM
icall and Accumulator brought up a great point that I forgot. Any time you are touching the paint with anything, you have a posibility of marring. If I know I will be rushed and will probably do a poor job, I leave the car dirty. I find if you are careful, and know whether your cars state of dirtiness (That sounds weird!) goes beyond a QD`s capabilities, you should be okay.

With black paint, the only thing that shows up worse than dust, is micro marring :D So I`m careful. Over time I expect micro marring to add up, and I plan on either buying a PC before then, or having it professionaly taken care of.