PDA

View Full Version : what a mess

yobiker193
02-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Hey guys, someone from the Toyota forum sent me here. He said someone could help with info.

I had a LineX bedliner sprayed in a T2006 Toyota Tundra yesterday and I now have overspray all over the front of the truck including the windows. The folks there used methonal?? to remove most of the sh*ty work but there is sill a considerable amount on the roof.

My first question is will the alcohol product harm the paint? Is this procedure normal?? Guy started scraping off roof wity a credit card?? What the f##k over!!

Secondly, the truck is almost new and I haven`t had time to coat it yet. On my list of to do`s was to ask the dealer what had beed done in the way of base prtection.

Help if you could. I understand that things happen but WOW. Maybe I am getting overworked but you expect things to be done at least half way right.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

BMW335i
02-01-2007, 11:38 PM
Hey guys, someone from the Toyota forum sent me here. He said someone could help with info.

I had a LineX bedliner sprayed in a T2006 Toyota Tundra yesterday and I now have overspray all over the front of the truck including the windows. The folks there used methonal?? to remove most of the sh*ty work but there is sill a considerable amount on the roof.

My first question is will the alcohol product harm the paint? Is this procedure normal?? Guy started scraping off roof wity a credit card?? What the f##k over!!

Secondly, the truck is almost new and I haven`t had time to coat it yet. On my list of to do`s was to ask the dealer what had beed done in the way of base prtection.

Help if you could. I understand that things happen but WOW. Maybe I am getting overworked but you expect things to be done at least half way right.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

I may be stating the obvious but I am a newb. Did you try clay for the overspray?

BlueLibby04
02-02-2007, 12:08 AM
Haha, a credit card? I bet that left some nice swirls.

Anyway, try the clay and see how that does.

imported_Frugle
02-02-2007, 12:30 AM
that would leave more than swirls, that would leave some serious marring..

My first guess would be to clay the car... but you would have to be extremely careful since it would be picking up little chunks (never letting the chunks touch the paint)

can you get a paint safe degreeser? like a citris thing?

imported_themightytimmah
02-02-2007, 01:35 AM
Clay works well, real slow though in my experience. Personally I prefer a well-lubricated plastic razor blade, then OP or P106 to remove the light marring that ensues. If I were you, I`d try to get the bedliner folks to pay for a competent detailer. Are you in Colorado or Atlanta at the moment?

foxtrapper
02-02-2007, 07:23 AM
Is this procedure normal??

No, it`s not. Normal proceedure is to tape the edge of the bed, tarp cover the rest, and then spray. What you encountered were incompetent idiots.

And if they didn`t prep the bed correctly, the line-x is going to be coming right up. The bed has to be scuffed up for the material to stick.

xtahoex
02-02-2007, 09:05 AM
I personally would contact line-x directly and ask what they use to clean up overspray and then I would tell them of your experience with that particular installer. See if they are willing to help or can at least offer you some advice. My guess is you won`t get very far with the group that actually did the spray job. Maybe if they get a call from Line-x headquarters they will be more likely to help you out. Good Luck.

imported_JoshVette
02-02-2007, 09:14 AM
I would go with the claybar first, it should do the trick. If there`s any left over try some M Adhesive Remover or Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover.

Clay should get it cleaned up though.....might as well do the whole truck while you`re at it and then wax it and you`ll have done your wax job you`ve been putting off.:woot:

Grimm
02-02-2007, 09:33 AM
Geez, does that stuff have a 10 feet splatter pattern? How do you get it on the front of the truck when spraying the bed?

captainkeys
02-02-2007, 09:51 AM
Did you try WD-40?

yobiker193
02-03-2007, 04:41 PM
I know!!! How did they get it ten feet away. I don`t think they did anything correctly. I now have a bubble in the spray on the tailgate and other smaller clear bubbles on the top of the liner???

Thew were having trouble with machine...YEAH. They also said that the tarp had a hole in it...I guess so...a hole the size of a Honda.

The Toyota dealer sent me to this guy him so I am going there first. Then to LineX with pictures. I am in Atlanta for a while. Know any good detail guys on the south side of town? I`ve got an old Benz that is in need of TLC as well.

Thanks again guys