PDA

View Full Version : central vac?

shadybreal
02-01-2007, 10:34 AM
I`ve got a Rigid 5HP vacuum, but was thinking about secureing it in my trailer and just getting a longer hose to reach the cars. Will the length of the hose effect the suction power? If so what do you guys suggest for a central vacuuming? Thanks!

the other pc
02-01-2007, 12:12 PM
Vac hose is bulky and pretty unwieldy in long runs. On a mobile rig you’ll probably end up needing a very long run too, unless you always get to park your rig real close to the client’s car.

If you go for it you’ll need a really big reel. For hose you’ll want to get the good stuff, rugged and super flexible (although you probably won’t have a choice, I don’t think they sell the cheap stuff in long runs).

PC.

imported_smprince1
02-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Will the length of the hose effect the suction power?

I think the answer is yes....the longer the hose the more suction power you lose at the other end.

Try to pick the minimum length that will give you the access you require.

PhaRO
02-01-2007, 03:06 PM
I`m not sure how much suction you would loose. I believe you would loose some but not sure why. My guess would be more resistance inside the hose. I ran 30ft off a carpet extractor and don`t remember it being a big problem. That being said you can get 50ft lengths of 1-1/2 hose for $32.50 or 2" for $49.90 plus about $20 shipping from Carwashsuperstore. I haven`t ordered from them before but plan on getting a 15` 2" hose and some attachments.

shadybreal
02-01-2007, 03:15 PM
I`m not sure how much suction you would loose. I believe you would loose some but not sure why. My guess would be more resistance inside the hose. I ran 30ft off a carpet extractor and don`t remember it being a big problem. That being said you can get 50ft lengths of 1-1/2 hose for $32.50 or 2" for $49.90 plus about $20 shipping from Carwashsuperstore. I haven`t ordered from them before but plan on getting a 15` 2" hose and some attachments.

Thanks. I just ordered some Megs chemicals from them yesterday. They seem to have very good prices and a lot closer to me (GA) than some of the other companies.

the other pc
02-01-2007, 05:16 PM
I`m not sure how much suction you would loose. I believe you would loose some but not sure why. ....Any time you have flow through a tube or pipe there’s always some resistance to the flow. It’s just the way nature works. How much depends on the fluid, flow rate, pressure, tube diameter, tube length, tube wall surface, any bends in the path, etc.

That said, the restriction to vacuum air flow to a shop vac caused by 50’ of 2†or 1.5†smooth walled plastic vacuum hose is probably small. I’d bet you’d loose more flow by electrically choking the motor with 50’ of #16AWG extension cord.

shadybreal, don’t forget that when you buy hose off the reel that’s all you get, hose. You’ll also need to order the adapters for your vac’s tank inlet and for coupling to nozzles.

PC.

whitejavaS500
02-01-2007, 10:26 PM
I took 3 15`? rigid vac hoses and connected them together. Works as good as it ever did, and I almost never move my vac anymore. PM me for more details.

BlueLibby04
02-02-2007, 12:19 AM
The reason you loose suction is b/c there is more air to move. Purdy simple. :)