PDA

View Full Version : New Paint Question???

dumbblonde
01-31-2007, 05:26 AM
Do I need to use a sealer on new parts that have never been painted? ie. bought a body kit AFTER I painted my car. The kit came "primed and ready to paint" or could u explain what a "sealer" does. I`ve painted the front bumper already :nervous2:

BobD
01-31-2007, 07:06 AM
Do not wax or use a sealer on any new paint, unless it came from the factory painted. Wait about 3-6 months.

velobard
01-31-2007, 10:36 AM
What do you mean by "never been painted"? Are you asking if you should seal before you paint? No, and you should give the paint time to finish curing after you paint. A sealant is essentially a synthetic wax.

the other pc
01-31-2007, 04:22 PM
A sealer or primer-sealer (as opposed to a sealant like Zaino or NXT), works as a barrier between coats. It’s meant to prevent bleed through from lower layers as well as dieback or sinking of the color coat.

Being pre-primed, new coats should stick to the parts but I wouldn’t trust it. Some primers should be top-coated within a specific window of time to adhere properly to a color coat. If the factory primer isn’t a primer-sealer you might get bleed through from the substrate (fiberglass? plastic?) or your color coat may loose gloss or surface quality.

I doubt I’d trust the smoothness of their primer either. It’s highly unlikely the guys that applied it were really thinking about preparing the part for a first class finish.

I’d probably sand out the parts and apply a primer-sealer that’s recommended in the paint system you’re using.

PC.