PDA

View Full Version : New guy... with a question

davis98
01-30-2007, 09:02 PM
Hey guys, my first post but I`ve been reading post/information here for a couple of years.

I`m a detailer at a dealership, don`t hate me! I do some buffing and have read a lot of information here. We have Makita buffers with Meguiars pads but unfortunately we only have 3M Perfect It III heavy cut, we dont have any light cut/swirl removers, just waxes. Basically I would like to know if it is posible to finish down a black car just using a heavy cut. Obviously one has to use a polishing pad, but everytime I try this I still end up with swirls. Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks!

sQuashed
01-30-2007, 09:25 PM
Ya know what davis, it certainly "can" be done but I would never go that route. Dealerships, yes, but not I !!! The less cut polishes do wonders IMHO.

ntwrkguy1
01-30-2007, 09:33 PM
Davis98,

Welcome to Autopia! I agree with sQuashed....it `can` be done, but to do it right, you really need some light cut products, along with the right polishes. Black paint is the "masters degree" of detailing, and approaching it with only heavy cut polishes just makes it tougher.

Send the boss the link to Autopia and tell him to stop being cheap and spend $150 on some other products. You`ll be able to detail succesfully, and he`ll take all the credit :)

-Ntwrkguy1

BlueLibby04
01-30-2007, 10:45 PM
I do not believe he would need to spend that much at first..

Megs #80 and #83 are really good products that save time since you do not need to use a polish after #80. You could start out with that and see how you like it.

davis98
01-30-2007, 10:47 PM
Ok I figured as much. Thanks guys!:2thumbs:

I`m still trying to get the hang of everything and not create holograms, which I think it the hardest part for me personally.

I`ll see if I can talk my boss into it, but not holding my breath.

In the meantime I`ll keep practicing:buffing:

Junebug
01-31-2007, 07:24 AM
You could buy it yourself, do it and then let him and say - his boss know you took the bull by the balls and saved yourself time and them - MONEY.

BobD
01-31-2007, 07:30 AM
Are you using a high speed rotary?

davis98
01-31-2007, 09:26 AM
Yes, I`m using a Makita rotary with a combination of Car Brite and Meguiars pads.

lbls1
01-31-2007, 09:31 AM
You should finish up with 3m finishing polish or any finishing polish used frequently at autopia (menzerna is a popular brand), with a medium cut or finer cutting pad, and then you can even follow that with an all in one or a paint cleaner b4 your wax.