PDA

View Full Version : Totally free tax prep and e-file?

Pages : [1] 2

a.k.a. Patrick
01-30-2007, 12:33 AM
So my 19 yr old son went to the IRS.gov tax prep site to prepare and e-file his 06 taxes this evening. After 2 hours of entry, they want to charge him $25.00! That would be great if it was my tax prep and e-file, but to a 19 yr old, $25.00 is $25.00! Does anyone out there know of a site that actually offers what they preach?

a.k.a. Patrick
01-30-2007, 08:04 AM
Bump..........(Maybe no one does there own taxes here?)

Grimm
01-30-2007, 08:26 AM
I haven`t tried it, but my bro-in-law said he used TaxAct.com. I guess it`s just a $12.95 filing fee.

jnmttu
01-30-2007, 08:31 AM
Go to IRS.gov and click on FreeFile on the left hand side. So long as you meet the requirements, you can get free tax prep and e-file from a whole bunch of companies. I used it while I was in college. I would recommend using someone like TurboTax or H&R Block. I don`t meet the requirements anymore, so I just use my own tax prep software and file it the old-fashioned way.

EdLancer
01-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Another government conspiracy here !

In Canada 60% of Canadians file their tax returns online and the governement even saves paper and labour with electronic tax returns, so why isn`t the software supplied by the tax department instead of private software companies, I mean the government can pay the private companies to develop the software and pay them a lump sum ?

Kanchou
01-30-2007, 01:14 PM
we CAN do that in the US, its just that the Income Tax code is so incomprehensible that anyone who isn`t single, or has children can`t really use such a system with any certanty its correct.

BobD
01-30-2007, 01:36 PM
Most places offer free state filing and a fee for federal. I think we use H&R Block.

natebood
01-30-2007, 04:44 PM
If he meets the requirements (if his adjusted gross income is less than $28,500 a year)

Intuit Tax Freedom Project (http://www.taxfreedom.com)

I`ve been using this for the past couple of years. Never paid a dime to file.

[Edit] I guess CA isn`t on that list of qualified states, sorry :sadwavey: (Assuming he lives in the same state as you)

BlackElantraGT
01-30-2007, 05:14 PM
From my experience, in the past I was able to find places that would do one for free but charge a fee for another. One year I used 2 different places that offered free tax filing to submit my federal and state taxes online. IMO, it was a major hassle just to get my taxes done for free.

If he`s only 19 and is going to be filing a 1040EZ, make him go to the post office to pick up a booklet and form. It is SUPER SIMPLE, so long as you can read basic English and can do basic adding and subtracting. Anyone who couldn`t perform this shouldn`t even be allowed to graduate from high school.

velobard
01-30-2007, 07:01 PM
I`ve been e-filing for years and what I`ve always seen with various companies is that they entice you in with free federal filing, then charge you $25 or so to e-file your state taxes at the same time. Is there a chance that`s what happened to your son?

a.k.a. Patrick
01-30-2007, 07:54 PM
I`ve been e-filing for years and what I`ve always seen with various companies is that they entice you in with free federal filing, then charge you $25 or so to e-file your state taxes at the same time. Is there a chance that`s what happened to your son?

Nailed it! bastuhds!

BlackElantraGT
01-30-2007, 08:54 PM
He could always just take advantage of the free federal efile, and do his state by mail using a form and booklet.

imported_truzoom
01-30-2007, 09:19 PM
Taxes? Only losers file taxes...

Oh and I`ll be leaving the country soon, so just wanted to say goodbye to everyone!

:lol

velobard
01-30-2007, 09:39 PM
He could always just take advantage of the free federal efile, and do his state by mail using a form and booklet.

Yes, except when I get to that part there`s a disclaimer that some states require you to e-file if you e-filed your federal return. I have no idea which states those are.

az57chevy
02-02-2007, 12:44 AM
Start at your state`s site and see who offers a free state and federal e-file :)