PDA

View Full Version : Touch Up Paint Brush - Great Item!

imported_Totoland Mach
01-29-2007, 06:14 PM
The BMW dealer I work for had his paint shop supply 2 of these sample touch up applicators.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/Totoland/MicroFiberDetailBrushes.jpg

We tried them out on a BMW 745 Li that had some stone chips and scratches on the front bumper cover.

His paint shop also provided some clear + hardener touch up to be used after the base coat has filled the scratch/chip.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/Totoland/MicroFiberDetailBrushesPlusClear.jpg

We`ve had problems with touch up paint (especially metallics) in that, the cleanup after using a rubber squeege to level the paint ruins the touch up. The paint shop said to use the touch up base color, then wait until it dries and apply clear/hardener mix. After the clear dries, you can compound/polish the area.

I`m going to try the exact process on the next car and post pics of the results.

Has anyone used these applicators? I`d appreciate some tips and tricks.

Totoland Mach

MaximusZTS
01-29-2007, 06:52 PM
Deja Vu. I just read this over at MOL. I was thinking this looked fimilar.

imported_Totoland Mach
01-29-2007, 06:56 PM
You did! I`m trying to find a nice supply channel and more importantly, find the proper use tricks for a great job on expensive cars!

Toto

AL-53
01-29-2007, 06:59 PM
Toto I have seen these before and had to think hard where...It came to me finally..it was at a dentist office....

these are sorta like them Centrix Dental - Products (http://www.centrixdental.com/applicator_details.asp#bendamicro)

look very close...

AL

Accumulator
01-29-2007, 09:52 PM
I`ve used them; I have different size ones- both the yellow and the white (forget which size is which). They work OK, nothing special usage-wise that you need to know, at least nothing that stuck in my mind as important.

I prefer small artist`s brushes overall, but there`s something to be said for the convenience of the disposables, and they work a lot better than the matches and toothpicks that I used to use.

Mikeyc
01-29-2007, 09:52 PM
Toto I have seen these before and had to think hard where...It came to me finally..it was at a dentist office....

these are sorta like them Centrix Dental - Products (http://www.centrixdental.com/applicator_details.asp#bendamicro)

look very close...

AL

Maybe you saw them in a Griot`s catalogue?

Griot`s Garage 1-800-345-5789 - Misc Car Care (http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=50406)

Eliot Ness
01-29-2007, 10:01 PM
Maybe you saw them in a Griot`s catalogue?

Griot`s Garage 1-800-345-5789 - Misc Car Care (http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=50406)I have gotten some from Griot`s and also found some at a local CarQuest that carries auto paint and supplies.

Depending on what size chip/scratch you are touching up those little guys seem to work fine, but like Accumulator, sometimes I prefer a small artist`s brush.

imported_Totoland Mach
01-30-2007, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the info folks!

I`m going to try them out and post some process pics. My problem in touch-up is with BMW metallics. After touching up a scratch using a brush or with a rubber squeege, I try to clean up the excess paint around the scratch and the metallic changes color!

The paint shop suggested these applicators + a 2-step method of touch up for big scratches on metallic: 1st is applying the color coat, allow drying, then apply clear coat and allow drying. After that, I could compound/polish that area and the clear coat will protect the metallic.

That`s probably the most frustrating portion of my job.

Toto

Accumulator
01-30-2007, 12:33 PM
Totoland Mach- Coincidentally enough, I first used those disposable brushes to apply BMW Byzanz metalling to some spots on the M3 (in the wheelwell, so my lousy abilities were good enough ;) ). I still found the artist`s brushes a lot better, maybe you just need different ones. I was using a size "0" for most of the work IIRC.

Yeah, metallic is tricky...pretty much have to get it right the first time. I do maybe two applications of basecoat (thin ones) and then enough coats of clear to get the right amount on there.

Sounds like you need a way to get less paint on with each application. If you`re using touchup paint in the little bottles, I generally find that stuff to be *way* too thick for a really nice repair. Maybe try thinning it out. The touchup paint I got from Paintscractch.com was pretty good, but the best I`ve ever used was mixed up by the painters I use (I told them it was for a by-hand touchup). Maybe the paintshop you`re working with can help get the paint to the right consistency.

The painter who worked on my Jag used a small brush to do some chips and I had a really tough time spotting them...some people really have the touch.

imported_Totoland Mach
01-30-2007, 01:00 PM
Totoland Mach- Coincidentally enough, I first used those disposable brushes to apply BMW Byzanz metalling to some spots on the M3 (in the wheelwell, so my lousy abilities were good enough ;) ). I still found the artist`s brushes a lot better, maybe you just need different ones. I was using a size "0" for most of the work IIRC.

Yeah, metallic is tricky...pretty much have to get it right the first time. I do maybe two applications of basecoat (thin ones) and then enough coats of clear to get the right amount on there.

Sounds like you need a way to get less paint on with each application. If you`re using touchup paint in the little bottles, I generally find that stuff to be *way* too thick for a really nice repair. Maybe try thinning it out. The touchup paint I got from Paintscractch.com was pretty good, but the best I`ve ever used was mixed up by the painters I use (I told them it was for a by-hand touchup). Maybe the paintshop you`re working with can help get the paint to the right consistency.

The painter who worked on my Jag used a small brush to do some chips and I had a really tough time spotting them...some people really have the touch.

Thanks Sir: I`ve got several sizes of artist brushes and these seem to work a little better for small stone chips. You`re right about my paint being a little too thick. We use an automotive paint store for color mixing and I`ll try to thin out the touch up paint before applying. The metallics are definitely a pain. I did a Green/Gray metallic BMW 745 and every time I tried to clean up the area after touching up, the paint would turn silver. Now that I have some Clear Coat to protect the base color, that should stop it.

I guess in the end...I`ll have to acquire "the touch" LOL.

Totoland Mach