PDA

View Full Version : Klasse AIO greasy haze

Pages : [1] 2

j3ffff
01-29-2007, 04:45 PM
Well today I did a quick compound/polish on the hood of my car because it had some marring from washing. Anyway, I decided to put come AIO on the hood. I made sure to apply it VERY VERY thin. I used maybe a dime size or less for the entire hood and buffed it till it was clear. I removed the residue and then pulled it out into the sun and saw what seemed to be a greasy haze all over the hood! :nervous: I thought Alcohol and water mixed 50/50 would do the trick, but that didn`t do anything. Any of you AIO experts know what I did wrong? :think:

mikebai1990
01-29-2007, 05:02 PM
Hm... I was going to recommend maybe going even thinner, but it seems like a dime size for the entire hood should be reasonable. You could try going thinner and seeing if it maes any different. Also, do you think maybe the haze is actually micromarring from your compound/polish? Did you finish up the polishing step with a finishing pad and less aggressive product?

thesacrifice
01-29-2007, 05:59 PM
I`ve never heard of that issue with AIO....I`m usually pretty liberal with my AIO applications because of that.

beastie
01-29-2007, 06:01 PM
Maybe it was too cold when you used it.

BigJimZ28
01-29-2007, 06:19 PM
AIO or SG?

wannafbody
01-29-2007, 07:04 PM
did you do an ISO wipedown before applying AIO? maybe it`s polishing oils under the Klasse.

imported_Bence
01-29-2007, 08:49 PM
With AIO, you clean and prep in the first place. No need to use too little. SG is another story. You need only the active layer (what bonds to the paint) and nothing more. SG requires a thin application - otherwise it is just wasteful.

imported_smprince1
01-29-2007, 09:25 PM
Klasse AIO is one of the most forgiving products I have used .... never finicky.

Maybe it was too cold or there was something left on the surface or your applicator that interacted/contaminated the AIO.:nixweiss

kpounds
01-29-2007, 11:31 PM
I think you can use much more AIO on your hood than a dime size. I`d try reapplying the AIO and wipe it before it completely dries, in small sections. The new AIO should remove the old AIO haze. The one you want to be really thin with is Klasse SG.

spotter
01-30-2007, 08:41 AM
I am no pro but could you have possibly not completely removed or buffed out the polish before using the AIO? I don`t think this would matter if you had used plenty of AIO but if you only used a very small amount it may not have been enough to remove and properly clean the paint. I believe another round with the AIO will easily solve any problem you are currently having. BOL!

CARGUY
01-30-2007, 10:03 AM
Klasse AIO is one of the most forgiving products I have used .... never finicky.

Maybe it was too cold or there was something left on the surface or your applicator that interacted/contaminated the AIO.:nixweiss

This was also my first thought. Maybe the applicator you used still had some other product left in it that you used previously and wasn`t completely washed out. Just a guess.

aaron33
01-30-2007, 09:08 PM
Use more AIO, and buff off as soon as you finish working it in. The more it dries, the harder it is to avoid the haze.

foxtrapper
01-31-2007, 08:05 AM
Looks greasy, but isn`t to the touch, right? I`ve run into that. I think it`s from using too little Klasse. You get an incomplete application over the surface. In my experience, it is much less a problem with several coats.

And oddly, I almost always get that look on an initial application to a vehicle, but it goes away in about 24 hours.

j3ffff
01-31-2007, 07:30 PM
Hm... I always thought that I had to apply a THIN layer of AIO. I`ll try to apply a little bit more on my door panel tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks for the help guys.

imported_Bence
01-31-2007, 07:51 PM
Nono, AIO is an actively functional, cleaning product. It has to be present in sufficient amounts to get the work done. When you remove heavy oxidation, or prepping the finish, you have to apply liberal amounts of AIO, because

1.) its cleaning chemicals soften up the oxidation; making it movable. With the help of

2.) its abrasives, it gently polishes the surface. The combined chemical/mechanical cleaning prepares the surface for

3.) its acrylic sealants which give a little protection.

So, you have to understand how a product works fundamentally.

You must apply the protecting layers very thin because their job is to "rest" on the surface and make it *immune* to the elements.