PDA

View Full Version : New car - detailing procedures

nocarters
01-29-2007, 01:38 PM
Hey all, newbie here. Just bought an `07 Accord and would like to maintain engine(which I have always done) as well as the exterior(not so much). From reading this site(great info), I have all the microfibers, washes, brushes, etc...(wife is worried about me), but haven`t seen anything yet about what I can/should do with a new car. So far I have washed it(two weeks old). Is washing all it needs for a while or should I be waxing/polishing it?

DirtySouth
01-29-2007, 01:39 PM
Polishing & Waxing would be fine on a new car.

BobD
01-29-2007, 01:44 PM
It really all depends on what the dealer did to it. If the paint is flawless and not swirled I would go over it with fine clay bar, light polish, and a good wax or sealer.

Mobilejay
01-29-2007, 01:47 PM
clay, then polish and wax

nocarters
01-29-2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks guys. To my eye is appears flawless enough. So I should wash, then use clay bar?, polish and wax it? Danase, I`ll check your site out, but might need to talk to someone to get started. Thanks again both.

BobD
01-29-2007, 01:55 PM
Thanks guys. To my eye is appears flawless enough. So I should wash, then use clay bar?, polish and wax it? Danase, I`ll check your site out, but might need to talk to someone to get started. Thanks again both.

Correct. Search around this site for a while and do some reading and you will find the answers to everything you ever wanted to know about detailing and then some.

imported_JoshVette
01-29-2007, 02:01 PM
Look at the finish in the sunlight or a good 500W light which will show you any swirls or defects in the clearcoat.

If it were me, I`d wash, claybar, then use a good sealent like RejeX or Zaino (if no swirls) if swirls I`d machine polish it then seal it.

For an everyday driver, I`d claybar and seal it once a month or once every other month.

Russecu
01-29-2007, 02:10 PM
Wash, clay, polish, seal or wax or both. If you are going to maintain your own car then I would say get you a Porter Cable (PC) Random Orbital. It may seem like a chunk of change at first but you will appreciate it after you see the results you can obtain with it. Great info here. Danase is where I get the majority of my items and he has great customer service and quick shipping. Oh yeah and Welcome!! Apex is close to Durham/Raleigh right? I am orginally from Burlington and went to college at ECU. Apex is nice.

nocarters
01-29-2007, 03:17 PM
Thanks Russecu.. Yes, Apex is a small town next to Raleigh, and I work in the Triangle park right near the airport.