PDA

View Full Version : Wash warning over tyres

Pages : [1] 2

Alfisti
01-29-2007, 09:44 AM
For your reading pleasure.

Wash warning over tyres | Auto Express News | News | Auto Express (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/204861/wash_warning_over_tyres.html)

BobD
01-29-2007, 10:03 AM
I find that very hard to believe. What about the people that constantly curb their tires? My tires get power washed once per week at least and, knock on wood LOL, I have never had a side wall blow on me.

klnyc
01-29-2007, 10:09 AM
Wow, I PW my wheel well and rims atleast 3x a month :) So far so good.

Dan
01-29-2007, 10:13 AM
I powerwashed my tires and then a ufo landed in my yard, coincidence? I think not :D I`m sure this is true with a heavy duty power washer or directly aiming at the tire but c`mon use your head.

At a place I worked at we had a 440 volt industrial powerwasher with heated (super hot) water. That thing would take paint off powdercoated wheels!

paul34
01-29-2007, 12:18 PM
hum, I hope I`m not screwing up my tires by using EO Wheel/Tire cleaner about once a month

kompressornsc
01-29-2007, 12:40 PM
If you`re in the US, it doesn`t apply. We use tires, not tyres. :)

imported_GregCavi
01-29-2007, 12:48 PM

LOL, I`ll go with that

Greg

DirtySouth
01-29-2007, 01:43 PM
Yep, that is very hard to believe. Not only do people like us PW our tires regularly, but think of all the people who go through the swirlomatics on a regular basis. They use high-pressure water to clean wheels. I would like to know exactly what kind of tires this theory was tested on.

sixty7mustang22
01-29-2007, 01:47 PM

I was thinking the same thing.:laugh:

foxtrapper
01-31-2007, 08:07 AM
It`s real. I`ve peeled rubber off with a pressure washer.

It`s a matter of how strong the pressure washer is, and how close you get it to the tire.

Alfisti
01-31-2007, 08:39 AM
Yes, it is real. The point of the article is the risk of causing micro-damage which could lead to sidewall damage. This damage can`t be seen. And, yes, it does depend on how close you get it to the tyre. Just because someone can drive in the wrong direction into on-coming traffic and survive doesn`t mean its riskless or wise.

The other interesting point was regarding using strong cleaning chemicals on the tyre that can lead to browning and degradation due to the removal of anti-oxidants/anti-ozonants.

Macko
01-31-2007, 09:06 AM
This is from a publication that rated Turtle Wax as the best wax you could buy. They also recently reviewed wash mits & sponges & marked down the Megs mit as no matter how hard they scrubbed it wouldn`t remove stubborn marks but a good sponge would. :wall

Alfisti
01-31-2007, 09:20 AM
This was a news article reporting comments from DEKRA and TyreSafe, not an Auto Express review. I agree, their tests and reviews are questionable.

The report is basic common sense. Foxtrapper`s experience is noteworthy.

imported_Bence
01-31-2007, 02:08 PM
Yes, you can cause serious damage to the tires. With a big Kärcher, I was able to cut into a tire with the jet. I saw a report on German TV, and I decided to try it. The water cut into the sidewall like butter, and the damage went down to the plies.

SVR
02-01-2007, 04:23 AM
I don`t use any soaps on my tires and unless your using a 5 to 20,000 psi washer, it`s unlikely to do damage. Plus I stand at least five feet away from the tires and constantly move the gun