PDA

View Full Version : wool pads...which ones....which cutting polish

Pages : [1] 2

Envious Eric
01-29-2007, 01:25 AM
looking for some wool pads...which ones are the good ones to use...i have used some in the past, and they sucked!!!

also, what polish should I go with....menzerna, hi-temp, optimum, meguiars...???

looking for something to step up my game when the bad cars come out, and looking to speed up my details...

thanks

eric

jtford95
01-29-2007, 01:39 AM
Have you tried any of Rightlook.com`s polishes? I see your in Cal. and there in San Degio.

BigJimZ28
01-29-2007, 08:11 AM
the hi-temp extreme cut works well

and if cheap!

what pads did you use and why did they suck?

Envious Eric
01-29-2007, 02:35 PM
i used a wool pad on a craftsman polisher about 4 years ago...dont remember the name...but its wasnt the best....

i was thinking about the hitemp...ryan has good results from it, so i might give it a go

Envious Eric
01-29-2007, 03:26 PM
any closer distributors for top of the line...i was going to order a gallon of extreme cut, and its 10 bucks to ship it....anything closer...or better yet, anything else I should get from them to help offset the cost of shipping?

David Fermani
01-29-2007, 07:18 PM
looking for some wool pads...which ones are the good ones to use...i have used some in the past, and they sucked!!!

Eric - I`ve used lots of different wool pads throughout the years and I still favor the Yellow (polishing) and White (cutting) ones sold through Auto Magic. I`ve purchased 100`s of them and never had one that was off-center. They also seem to last the longest too. I don`t like any of the double sided ones out there because they don`t feel secure/firm enough to me. Make sure to buy a good spur and clean off as much of the excess fibers before you start using a new one. As far as polishes to use, that will depend on the job/finish. There`s alot of variables out there with respect to correction and each product works really different in each situation.

imported_agentf1
01-29-2007, 07:27 PM
I have a blue/green wool Edge combo pad and like it a lot. Although, I am mostly using foam pads.

Envious Eric
01-30-2007, 02:50 AM
david, any specific ones....Auto Magic Detailing Buffing and Polishing Pads (http://www.automagic.biz/Accessories/buffpads.htm)

David Fermani
01-30-2007, 07:24 AM
david, any specific ones....Auto Magic Detailing Buffing and Polishing Pads (http://www.automagic.biz/Accessories/buffpads.htm)

The 1st three are the ones to get. One is a Cutting (white) and the other is Polishing (yellow). They they look the same(except color), but cut differently.

Junebug
01-30-2007, 07:38 AM
David, I contacted them (Auto Magic) and my nearest distributor is about 4 hours away! Could you suggest a second choice - one available either at a on-line store like Edge/Meg`s or something like 3M (available at my local CarQuest). Thanks, and FWIW, I have a wool compound and wool polish pad that came with my Makita - they look fine but I`m not ready to try them without a little advice from you!

David Fermani
01-30-2007, 09:32 AM
David, I contacted them (Auto Magic) and my nearest distributor is about 4 hours away! Could you suggest a second choice - one available either at a on-line store like Edge/Meg`s or something like 3M (available at my local CarQuest). Thanks, and FWIW, I have a wool compound and wool polish pad that came with my Makita - they look fine but I`m not ready to try them without a little advice from you!

I PM`d you Auto Magic`s largest distributor`s #(Brian Ward). He`ll send you anything you need and it will be much cheaper than other distributors/re-sellers.

I`m not sure about the ones that came with your Makita. I always bought polishers bare and added the accessories. Try them is see. Just practice good technique.

Accumulator
01-30-2007, 12:47 PM
Hmmm...I`m following this thread too. As I play around with the M3 I`m doing many, many passes with the H-T EC/orange or yellow/1500 or higher/some pressure. And when I say "many, many passes" I don`t mean just five or six! I hardly ever do something this bad, and I`m gonna end up having it painted anyhow, but *MAN* is it frustrating to spend literally hours with even the rotary. Gives me a whole new appreciation for what the Pros on these boards have to do all the time.

imported_rydawg
01-30-2007, 01:14 PM
Hmmm...I`m following this thread too. As I play around with the M3 I`m doing many, many passes with the H-T EC/orange or yellow/1500 or higher/some pressure. And when I say "many, many passes" I don`t mean just five or six! I hardly ever do something this bad, and I`m gonna end up having it painted anyhow, but *MAN* is it frustrating to spend literally hours with even the rotary. Gives me a whole new appreciation for what the Pros on these boards have to do all the time.

WOW! What year is the m3?

Junebug
01-30-2007, 01:22 PM
If you`re going to repaint anyhow, why not try wool and let us know how it went. Like Ross Perot once said,"I`m all ears"!

Accumulator
01-30-2007, 02:37 PM
WOW! What year is the m3?

It`s a `97. Funny that it`s such a huge job, it doesn`t look all *that* bad and I`m used to hard clear on the Audis :nixweiss

JuneBug- I don`t have any decent wool pads around and I`m up in the air about how much more effort I`m gonna put into it anyhow. I want it to look OK when my mechanic wraps up his work on it prior to the painting though, and it might be a good candidate for trying something new and different....we`ll see what I end up doing. I haven`t used wool pads on a rotary since the days of single stage.