PDA

View Full Version : cosmetic or ruined? u be the judge

joyriide1113
04-27-2005, 12:42 PM
detailed a car this weekend with 35yrold single stage lacquer paint. toook forever to remove the swirls and now im finding its taking forever to clean my pads. in my detail i used #83, #80 and aio. the pad that was used with aio, although turned orange during the detail, cleaned up nicely and is now white again. not soo good news for the yellow and orange pads that were used with the #83 and #80. no matter wha i use to clean em, SG, laundry detergent, boiling water, soaking, they stay orange. my question is if this is only cosmetic or if they should be laid to rest

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y54/JOYRIIDE1113/products/pads.jpg

MS22
04-27-2005, 12:48 PM
Any coloring left behind really doesnt affect the performance of the pad. As long as you clean with something like Dawn Oxy and a toothbursh in warm water all of the products will be removed. Think about putting SSR1 on a white polishing pad, after the first use that pad will be pink for the rest of its life even though it still works fine. I would go ahead and use them as long as they still feel soft and pretty new.

joyriide1113
04-27-2005, 12:56 PM
cool thinkin. ever since one of my polishing pads turned pink i always had it dedicated for ssr1. even tho it still feels new and has no residue.

TW85
04-27-2005, 01:32 PM
They`re fine. Pad manufacturers would love it though if we tossed every pad that became stained.

joyriide1113
04-27-2005, 01:34 PM
should tis be expected with all single stage paint? permanant staining of pads?

TW85
04-27-2005, 01:55 PM
Product alone can stain pads. I have a couple of pads that are now a different color than they originally were (SSR line seems to stain). Single stage, as you found out, can also stain.

What kind of time period did you allow between using the pads and actually washing them?

joyriide1113
04-27-2005, 02:25 PM
Product alone can stain pads. I have a couple of pads that are now a different color than they originally were (SSR line seems to stain). Single stage, as you found out, can also stain.

What kind of time period did you allow between using the pads and actually washing them?

i always throw my pads directly into a bucket of soapy dawn water right after im done with them...

Boss_429
04-27-2005, 03:56 PM
should tis be expected with all single stage paint? permanant staining of pads?
Pretty much.

When you polish SS paint, you are removing some of the paint layer with the pigment in it... unlike clear-coat.