PDA

View Full Version : Newbie that needs help.

rmcgill
01-26-2007, 03:26 PM
As you can tell this is my 1st post and I`m new to the board. As with most boards the questons I`m going to ask have been asked before and I am searching for similar questions. Here is my question/story. I just bought my brothers 95 M-edition Miata with ONLY 10,300 MILES. I washed/clay bar/polished/waxed it with Mequires Polish #7, and Medallion wax. I used a porter cable 7424 with very mild polishing pad for the polish and very mild/soft for the wax. (I`ve used the PC on my 91 miata with mothers brand polish/wax with great results). :waxing:

Now the problem and the questions: After I polished the car, it looked great...no issues at all. :goodjob When I waxed the car I commited a cardinal sin:mad: :mad: ...I tried to do too much at once...insead of small sections, I waxed 1/2 the car at a time. The 1st half seem to work just fine...the wax came off with just moderate hand buffing. The 2nd half was a disaster...the wax dried and was almost impossible to get off...iI had to hand buff really hard in very small areas with very frequent turns of the cloth to get the wax off. The result is a "hazey" look...I`m thinking I simply did not get the excess wax entirely off. I`ve read the detailing information on this site and see that I will more than likely have to re-polish and maybe use a applicator with a little more bite (i have one, but have not used it). I`m just a little nervous about being too agressive with the polish. The wax I used may have been 7 or 8 years old but the bottle had never been opened...both the polish and wax had a very liquid texture...more so than what I would have expected...so I`m wondering if the polish/wax degragated some how...I mean...does wax have a shelf life?

Another side issue is that the car had bug splats all over the front and were never completely removed...its clear that they have "etched" themselves into the clearcoat...polish did not remove them...I did not try to scrape them off for fear of ruining the paint. I havent tried bug remover but will tonight. I was surprised the clay bar did not remove this.

I was in a hurry to get this wax job done because I flew into florida to pick the car up and had to drive it 1200 mile to get it home and wanted it protected.

I appreciate any responses or links...thanks in advance for you assistance.:buffing:

Nuke33
01-26-2007, 04:04 PM
TO remove the dried wax, you can always re-clay those areas, Maybe some rubbing alcohol 2:1 but im not sure on that maybe other member might know more about that.....

sixty7mustang22
01-26-2007, 04:19 PM
You could always try some kind of Quick Detail to help you remove the dried or hazed wax.

the other pc
01-26-2007, 04:58 PM
:welcome to Autopia, rmcgill !

First off, it sounds like you put the wax on waaaaaaaaaay too thick. Think thin. Think really, really, really thin. If you think it’s thin enough, wrong. Thinner. If you think it can’t possibly be enough, wrong. It’s too much. Thinner.

What the other guys said is (are?) right on. QD or alcohol will likely work. Clay definitely will (but might be tedious, maybe, maybe not).

You might also just try waxing it again, in small sections. There’s an old saying that like dissolves like.

Did I mention that you need to apply wax thin?

PC.