PDA

View Full Version : Getting scratches out of CD`s

Pages : [1] 2

mikebai1990
01-26-2007, 10:41 AM
Would it be smart to try to polish out scratches on a scratched CD? Usually unreadable CD`s are caused by the scratches, and I was wondering whether cutting through the scratched layer would allow the CD/DVD to be played properly.

BigJimZ28
01-26-2007, 11:05 AM
I have used AIO to fix some cd`s

that used it skip

I am sure ther are a lot of other products that will work also!

velobard
01-26-2007, 11:28 AM
Try a glaze with fillers. It`s not like you`re going to wash them out.

Of course, one video rental store I used to go to kept a buffing wheel behind the counter for polishing scratched discs. They`d polish anyone`s disc for a couple of bucks. I tried it once and it actually worked pretty well.

mikebai1990
01-26-2007, 11:55 AM
Sounds cool. I might break out my PC with some polish/glaze and try it on some scratched CD`s :)

SpoiledMan
01-26-2007, 12:01 PM
Menzerna IP and FPII always work for me. I have to fix my kids movies/games all the time and haven`t been failed yet.

kpounds
01-26-2007, 12:03 PM
+1 on the AIO. Amazing stuff. There`s also a pgm called ISO Buster (http://www.isobuster.com/) in case you cant get the scratches out, it will extract the data from a CD/DVD to a file. Then burn the file to disc and voila...your data is recovered. Very simple to use. It used to be free and may still be, just has a nag screen or something. If you have a prob finding a free verson, I have one around and can send it to you.

Scottwax
01-26-2007, 01:06 PM
Vanilla Moose and Quikshine work great! In fact, the CD Restore that Blockbuster used to sell (and still may, haven`t been in one in years) is a stronger version of Quikshine.

imported_CkretAjint
01-26-2007, 05:10 PM
I use a THIN THIN THIN coat of olive oil and reburn the CD right away. Never had any issues with it at all, with CDs or the computer.....

BoxsterCharlie
01-26-2007, 11:43 PM
Plexus is the best thing I`ve found by far. It fixes 90% of the Netflix DVD`s I get that get stuck on a scene. It was very specifically designed to fix plastic aircraft windows; and I think CD`s/DVD`s are a very similar material.

TrueDetailer
01-27-2007, 08:06 PM
Why don`t you go buy one of those little machines? I think you can get one for 10-15 bucks. Its alot easier to use the machine than it is to wetsand and polish it by hand.

mikebai1990
01-27-2007, 08:31 PM
What do you guys of using the PC with some polish? :waxing: I`m thinking something not too aggressive, like Meg`s #9. Fill the scratches up :)

paul34
01-27-2007, 08:50 PM
Why don`t you go buy one of those little machines? I think you can get one for 10-15 bucks. Its alot easier to use the machine than it is to wetsand and polish it by hand.

I think they`re actually about $30 or so. But yea, might as well use what you`ve got, especially since if you buy a machine it probably won`t be used more than once or twice :2thumbs:

Mr. Clean
01-27-2007, 09:29 PM
Plexus is the best thing I`ve found by far. It fixes 90% of the Netflix DVD`s I get that get stuck on a scene. It was very specifically designed to fix plastic aircraft windows; and I think CD`s/DVD`s are a very similar material.

Excellent suggestion. I`ve got a CD I need to try this on. Sounds perfectly logical.

I would recommend you pass on the ClearKote CD Restorer product. I bought some years ago at a now defunct music store (Sound Wherehouse or somesuch, don`t think Blockbuster ever sold it). $7.99 for 4 oz. The best it can muster is cleaning finger prints. The label claims it Stops Skipping and Improves Clarity. Nope, and it definitely won`t get a scratch out. I use Adam`s Detail Spray quite often on the rented DVDs it works as well or better at a considerably better price point.

Envious Eric
01-27-2007, 11:00 PM
i just use any wax and it works....take only <1 min....WOWO, no need for polishing or bringing out the polisher LOL

Hondaph00l
01-28-2007, 01:41 PM
I would be worried about the lenses in the players depending on what you put on the discs, no?

Alex