PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here practice MMA here?

joyriiide1113
01-25-2007, 11:53 AM
Been doing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for about 2 weeks now. I weigh 215lbs, I`m 5`10`, with about 12% Bodyfat. I always thought I was pretty fit and agile enough to defend myself.

Lets just say, after every session, I have walked out a humble man. This sport is soo addicting, I itch and get goosebumps before class.

I have probably spent almsot $500 in gear, memberships, and private lessons...

Who here has any experience?

DSVWGLI
01-25-2007, 12:28 PM
10 years of Wing Chun, I just love it. It is quite an addiction for sure, I still get goosebumps.

joyriiide1113
01-25-2007, 12:40 PM
Can you describe "Wing Chun"...

Buddy of mine who is a real cocky hot headed guy came the first day of last week with me to try out the Jiu Jitsu class. They let him roll a bit with once of the mroe experienced "white belts"...It was soo inspring to see him get chocked out soo quicklt by a white belt probably 50lbs lighter than him....

DSVWGLI
01-25-2007, 01:13 PM
Wing Chun is a close range centerline fighting system. It uses your opponents energy aginst them. Some of the techniques are trapping, centerline punching, elbow stricking and low kicking. It`s a devastatingly effective, no nonsense self-protection martial art.

Charisma
01-25-2007, 03:05 PM
I`ve trained in Brazilian Ju-Jitsu, Nin-Jitsu, Muay thai and some americanized wrestling and boxing. :hmph:

Just keeps me busy, I`ve been thinking about competing locally; a friend at school does and does fairly well, however I molly-whop him when we spar together. :nixweiss

SuperBuick
01-25-2007, 03:20 PM
If I could find the time (and it sounds like money) I`d love to get involved in this. One thing I`m afraid of is injury, however, since I need to be able to go to work the next day.

TortoiseAWD
01-25-2007, 04:02 PM
I`m not involved in MMA except as a rabid spectator. I love the stuff (preferring Pride to UFC these days).

Tort

SamIam
01-25-2007, 05:31 PM
Wing Chun is a close range centerline fighting system. It uses your opponents energy aginst them. Some of the techniques are trapping, centerline punching, elbow stricking and low kicking. It`s a devastatingly effective, no nonsense self-protection martial art.

If I`m not mistaken, Wing Chun is the art that Bruce Lee was originally trained it, before he started his own system.

imported_Detailing Technology
01-25-2007, 06:57 PM
OSU!

I have been training Kyokushin US Oyama Karate for 20 years. 5th Dan.

I also practiced Tora Ryu Ju Jitsu for a few years, the teacher got involved in MMA and turned the place into a MMA school. I trained for about 3 years with multiple disciplines of Karate ,Ju Jitsu, and Grappling.

At 5`10" and 185lbs, I am in a TOUGH weight class. The guys are both fast and strong. 2 years ago I had to have surgery on my knee for in injury during sparring. My knee is not the same and not I am afraid to get back into it hard again.

DSVWGLI
01-25-2007, 07:30 PM
If I`m not mistaken, Wing Chun is the art that Bruce Lee was originally trained it, before he started his own system.

Yes he had a couple years of training in Wing chun from "Yip Man" who is the grandmaster of Wing Chun. Yip Man was the first instructor to start teaching this art to the public in 1949. One of Yip Man`s first students was Leung Sheung(Hong Kong) who taught Paul Lam(England) who taught my instructor. So I am very fortunate to have such an instructor . As far as Bruce Lee, his training in this art was very limited as he wanted to become a big Kung Fu star, and cut his training short to pursue his career.

imported_Detailing Technology
01-25-2007, 08:21 PM
What MMA fighting style do you think is the most effective in the Octagon?

What MMA fighting style do you feel will be most effective against stopping an aggressor?

What MMA fighting style do you think is the most "religous"?

I got into Karate because of the instructor. He was trained in Japan and ran the class like a priest runs a church. We spoke only Japanese in the dojo. No one spoke out of turn. The most "wild" kids in Westchester, NY went to Shihan Dai for instruction, he broke us all. I owe almost all I have today to the discipline this man taught me. I rely on it to this day.

Since I was 17, I have not been in a physical fight, but never walked away from ANY conflict. I couldn`t have the power in my will to do this without his guidance. I`m sure those of you that read my posts know I am a big mouth and have strong opinions, I have many "conflicts".

DSVWGLI
01-25-2007, 10:42 PM
What MMA fighting style do you think is the most effective in the Octagon?

What MMA fighting style do you feel will be most effective against stopping an aggressor?

What MMA fighting style do you think is the most "religous"? .

In the Octagon, Grappling because of the restrictions and the gloves. Stopping an aggressor, any fighting style that does not have too structured teaching, ie: this block stops this punch. When learning this way you can only defend against structured attacks, in the street you will die. Most religous, don`t know and don`t care. I`ve always taken martial arts to defend myself and nothing else. I started about 15 years ago with kick boxing then moved onto Kenpo Karate and for the last 10 years Wing Chun Kung Fu. I`ve stuck with Wing Chun this for it`s simplicity and effectivness. I didn`t like the structured training of Kenpo, it didn`t seem useful in real world situations and as far as the kick boxing, I didn`t like the inefficient slug it out style.

joyriiide1113
01-26-2007, 11:54 AM
I had this conversation recently with our instructor... His claim is that for MMA and life situations, in his experience, Muy Thai and Brazilian Jit Jitsu have been his best trait. He is a 2nd degree black belt in TKD but still relys on his Muy Thai techniques when striking a person in order to inflict maximum harm...

He also explains that although his preference is those two, that every art has its cons... but loves his Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for the power of inflicting great harm without the need for great strength...

Daytona440
01-29-2007, 01:54 PM
If I could find the time (and it sounds like money) I`d love to get involved in this. One thing I`m afraid of is injury, however, since I need to be able to go to work the next day.

and yet you make fun of me everytime i can`t go racing because I`m going to class...the truth comes out buddy boy! LOL :LOLOL