PDA

View Full Version : New guy, help me with my process please!

illegalspeeds
01-23-2007, 03:42 PM
I need some help guys, I just bought a used Chevy Avalanche that looks as if the previous owner washed with rain and ScotchBright pads. I use a PC with Lake Country pads, but not sure about which products to go with. I`d like to finish this up by the weekend, which leaves me with what I have in the garage and things available locally. So far, I`ve used 3M Perfect-It II Fine Cut Rubbing Compound on a yellow pad, which took out almost all the big stuff, but I need a finer product before I wax it. What do you all think? I have Mezerna`s IP in the cabinet, along with nearly the entire 1Z line, running low on PP though. Is there a 3M or Meguairs product anyone can recommend as a final step prior to Zaino? For that matter, is there a Zaino alternative that looks good (don`t need the longevity, just the shine because it will be waxed again soon) that I can get locally? Thanks for all your help guys, I`ve been lurking for a long time now, and now I finally have a question that I couldn`t find an answer to.

Matt

MorBid
01-23-2007, 10:47 PM
I don`t have any of the products listed (except for the 3m compound) but I can give you an idea.

If your initial cut process was that aggressive you`ll need to go with a pad/polish combo that will clean up after. I would try the IP w/a green (light cut) pad followed by the same polish with a blue (polishing pad)

That should clean up the marring left by compounding w/the yellow pad.

MorBiD

imported_themightytimmah
01-24-2007, 12:09 AM
IP/white, PP/black, Collinite 476 wax (available locally).

illegalspeeds
01-24-2007, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the help! I think I`m going to give the IP/PP/476 a shot. Where can I get Collinite locally? Never seen it at the Pep Boys. Also, can I use as a true LSP (over Zaino) later on, or does it have cleaners/abrasives? Thanks again!

Junebug
01-24-2007, 07:46 AM
I`m not a Zaino guy, but I did have an Avalanche a few years back - great vehicle! Anyway, for shine and durability, I use Duragloss 105 and the AW about every month. You can get these at Autogeek.net or at a local Carquest store. Also, according to my handy dandy guide of products, 3M Perfect-It II Fine Cut Rubbing Compound is equal to Meguiars #83, both are a 6 on the scale (low end of the medium cut range) so you could drop to 3M 39009 or 39109 Perfect-IT Swirl Mark remover, I`d use a orange LC pad to start with.

Accumulator
01-24-2007, 01:16 PM
IP/white, PP/black, Collinite 476 wax (available locally).

1Z PP with a black LC (finishing) pad? I`d use it with a polishing pad instead. Part of that is just personal preference, and no I haven`t tried the black...but I`d expect to need a more open pad. I even use a more open pad with 1Z`s milder polishes like MP/WPS.

Not intended as an :argue

illegalspeeds- the only Collinite I`ve seen in autoparts stores is the 845 Insulator Wax. Marine shops might have some 476S. No cleaners/etc. in 476S or 845.

Oh, and welcome to Autopia!