PDA

View Full Version : Petroleum Distillates - Health & Environmental Concerns?

Integra81
01-22-2007, 09:56 AM
As many of you are probably aware, petroleum distillates are common in many car care products. I`ve read about how distillates are refined to help remove serious health issues (carcinogens, toxins, etc).

meguiars.com: FAQ - I have been told that products that contain petroleum distillates are bad for my car`s finish. What does Meguiar`s have to say about this considering some of your products list petroleum distillates in the "Caution Statement", on (http://www.meguiars.com/faq/index.cfm?faqCat=General%20Questions&faqQuestionID=29&section=_29#_29)

I`m still skeptical that just because they are "refined" doesn`t mean that they don`t still exist and pose a risk to our health and the environment. For instance, the International Chemical Safety Card on petroleum distillates makes them sound dangerous:

ICSC:NENG1379 International Chemical Safety Cards (WHO/IPCS/ILO) | CDC/NIOSH (http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ipcsneng/neng1379.html)

Does anyone have insight into this?

Setec Astronomy
01-22-2007, 10:10 AM
Playing devil`s advocate, everything is dangerous. A woman just died from drinking too much water in that contest.

Use things in moderation, use adequate ventilation, avoid skin contact...just like it says on the label, I`d bet.

Dan
01-22-2007, 10:17 AM
Lots of natural stuff is poisonous too. They aren`t harmful to the paint, but possibly are to you, something to consider if you detail professionaly, probably not something to worry about for the average autopian.

Junebug
01-22-2007, 10:39 AM
AWWWWWWWW Jeeeez, Edith, one more thing to worry bout since the commies gave up. Yeah right, I`ll be losing sleep on this one for sure..........

MBurnickas
01-22-2007, 11:32 AM
You can`t make waxes or sealants w/o PD`s, they all have them every single one.

brwill2005
01-22-2007, 11:37 AM

Optimum Spray Wax does not contain any PD.

Integra81
01-22-2007, 11:59 AM

Maybe not yet...but I`d like to see a company come out with one that doesn`t use any PDs

brwill2005
01-22-2007, 12:07 PM
Maybe not yet...but I`d like to see a company come out with one that doesn`t use any PDs

Optimum Spray Wax does not have any PD`s in it.

foxtrapper
01-23-2007, 06:40 AM
Does anyone have insight into this?

Oh, just a little, as I work in the toxics field.

Petroleum distillates is far to broad a term to work with on a serious level. It`s about as sweeping as "natural" or "synthetic". You`ve got vaseline to benzine in that group for example.

Paints, as a generic statement, are conditioned and revitalized with petroleum distillates and many other oily hydrocarbons. Just take an oily rag to some paint and you`ll see what I mean. Especially if the paint is faded and oxidized.

As far as health effects to you, car cleaning and detailing isn`t very threatening. Far worse is working on the cars and getting your hands greasy and oily, and washing things in the parts washer. Yet mechanics live for years upon years.