PDA

View Full Version : Polish Choice

novaks47
01-21-2007, 09:03 PM
My car has some serious spider-webbing from my use of regular drying towels in the past(I use micro-fiber now), as well as some recently developed light oxidation(stupid sunny CA "winters"). I purchased some Sonus Final Finish polish, thinking that would at least be abrasive enought to rid the minor scratching, but to no avail. I`m doing all this by hand by the way. Which polish would everyone recommend? My paint is Sunlight Silver(`02 Mazda Protege) if that helps, thus it shows most inperfections quite readily.

thesacrifice
01-21-2007, 09:33 PM
Optimum! wee

ConglomrationAL
01-21-2007, 09:36 PM
Sonus final finish will be fine for light swirls. If you do it by hand you`re really gunna have to work it hard and for a long time before you get the swirls out.

MMasz
01-21-2007, 09:37 PM
Buy or rent a PC, save your shoulder for when you get older.

Accumulator
01-22-2007, 01:06 PM
novaks47- Welcome to Autopia! I too have a silver `02 Mazda.

If you`re working by hand, I`d use 1Z Paint Polish. It might be a little mild, but most stuff is when used by hand. At least the 1z PP is user-friendly by hand and it does a bit of concealing along with the mechanical/abrasive correction. You could get some 1z Ultra/Extra polish to use on the worst marring (if it has areas that`re really bad), and then go over those areas again with the 1z PP.

With all the stuff I have on the shelf, 1Z is my hands-down choice for working by hand. I`d top it with Collinite wax so you don`t have to redo it for a long time.

BobD
01-22-2007, 01:09 PM
Four Star Body Shop or Optimum Polishes.

novaks47
01-22-2007, 09:51 PM
Wow, thank you all for your responses! So many choices out there. I suck at deciding things. lol The Four Star is tempting, because I`ve used their UPP and really liked it. But then I see plenty of praise for Optimum, and then Accumulator`s 1Z experience makes me want to try that stuff as well. Maybe I`ll save up some $$ and get all of them. LOL Nah, I`ll get either 1Z or Optimum for now until I have the $$ saved up for a PC. Thanks again!

imported_Bence
01-22-2007, 11:56 PM
Hi novaks47!

I agree with Accumulator, because his suggestion is perfect for beginners. The 1ZPP will polish, hide and protect a little bit as well. The Collinite is one of the toughest waxes out there; always an excellent choice.

If you step up, to a polisher, I`d recommend the Optimum line - which is also the best due to their forgiving nature (note: I haven`t used Four Star). But Bob wouldn`t recommend them if they wouldn`t perform at a very high level.

From the former People`s Republic of Hungary...

Bence :D

3Dog
01-23-2007, 12:00 AM
+2 for 1Z PP. Always my go to when doing it by hand.