PDA

View Full Version : What to use to polish crome trim

95legend
04-25-2005, 08:22 PM
anyone have have any favorite products or anything im assuming the crome on most cars has some sorta clear coat on it so regulal metal polish wouldent be the best option would it?? what should i use ?

TrueDetailer
04-25-2005, 08:38 PM
I use CDA metal polish for most of my needs. Its not cheap but in my opinon its one of the best i`ve tried.

CharlesW
04-25-2005, 09:15 PM
anyone have have any favorite products or anything im assuming the crome on most cars has some sorta clear coat on it so regulal metal polish wouldent be the best option would it?? what should i use ?
Not a professional, but Mother`s Chrome Polish has worked great on my motorcycle chrome for several years.
I really can`t remember any chrome on my 4 wheeled vehicles for years, but I used the same stuff when they were loaded with chrome.

If it is truly clearcoated, I would think it would need to be treated like any other painted surface. Use a mild polish and a good wax or sealant.

Charles

Big Leegr
04-26-2005, 09:33 AM
If it`s real chrome, as Charles said, Mothers works well. However, I`ve noticed lots of cars with "chromed" plastic trim. You would likely damage the trim using a polish of any kind on that, as it`s basically a very thin film of plastic/paint on a piece of plastic.
I had read from some chemical manufacturers that chrome is not clearcoated. (I had read the same thing.) I don`t have enough experience with that type of stuff to say for sure myself, but I think (Hope, at least) that the guys manufacturing the stuff to shine it would know a little bit about it. ;)

mgm2003
04-26-2005, 10:19 AM
I would use Poorboys Pro Polish or AIO.

mr2man
04-26-2005, 03:07 PM
If its not clearcoated.........WENOL! Great stuff. Not cheap.

wytstang
04-30-2005, 12:23 AM
Nerer dull is grat for chrome I just it on mine. I`m currently using AIO and it`s working great as well.

VroomVroom
04-30-2005, 01:32 AM
I`ve become a fan of Master Formula, but still fall back on Adam`s #1 & #2 on occasion. That Poorboys professional polish is awesome stuff. I`ve even found myself using it around the house. It did an amazing job on the bathroom faucet, and restored a mirror in our bedroom.

For fake chrome I`ve always just cleaned it with QD spray.

Take care,
Jerry

Mad iX
04-30-2005, 01:32 AM
Metal Polish wouldnt be so good if it`s clearcoated.
VM and AIO will work on chrome whether it`s bare or clearcoated, so I would be going with that route, although they don`t have as much bite on metal as metal polish, obviously.

Big Leegr
04-30-2005, 07:24 AM
One thing to be careful of, though, is that chrome is usually a "plating" that shouldn`t be "scoured" with anything very abrasive. Once the plating is compromised, you can`t "polish" it back. You`d need to re-plate it.

DFTowel
05-01-2005, 12:07 PM
Thought you guys would appreciate this... in the Detailing forum of the El Camino board someone asked about polishing chrome and a response was to use crumbled up aluminum foil! :rolling

Bill D
05-01-2005, 12:12 PM
:eek: :crazy

Big Leegr
05-02-2005, 10:11 PM
Thought you guys would appreciate this... in the Detailing forum of the El Camino board someone asked about polishing chrome and a response was to use crumbled up aluminum foil! :rolling

Actually, I`ve read that in various places. I`ve also read that Coke can be used to help get rid of rust on chrome, when "polished" with Aluminum foil.

Not to say that I`d want to try that out to see if it is true, mind you. I prefer to use Chrome polish. ;)

CARGUY
05-03-2005, 06:43 AM
When I bought a Weber barbecue grill many years ago, the instruction booklet that came with it had some tips for cleaning and one of them was to use a piece of crumpled aluminum foil to clean the chrome plated grill so I tried it. REAL BAD IDEA. It removed all of the chrome and the steel underneath began to rust within a matter of days. Moral of story...Don`t let aluminum foil get anywhere near your car (or barbecue grill)!!

Thomas Dekany
05-03-2005, 10:27 PM
I second PP!!!!