PDA

View Full Version : Detailing BMW`s...

Charisma
01-20-2007, 12:17 AM
I have had my own BMW; I detailed it once during my ownership (the previous owner and myself both kept it washed once a week and waxed regularly) so it was in great condition. I never had any problems; however I have been informed by someone that BMW paint is extremely hard to remove marring from... can anyone confirm?

For my lineup I`ll be using Meguiar`s #80 polish, PC 7424 with the LC Orange Pad. I have some other polishes laying around here and I won`t be hard-pressed on time either when doing these cars so post your thoughts please.

I have quite a few late 90`s BMW`s coming through in the next month or two :clap:

gtpaul
01-20-2007, 01:15 AM
I think your going to have to step up to a rotary, otherwise you`ll be working very long hours.

I`ve never used the #80, but I have had good luck with Optimum Compound with the rotary.

Bigpoppa3346
01-20-2007, 09:58 AM
You don`t need a rotary at all. I have corrected horrible stuff on many paints all with the PC. Maybe #80 on an orange, followed by #80 on a polishing pad? I`m not too familiar with it, so maybe others can chime in.

Accumulator
01-20-2007, 12:14 PM
The hardness of BMW clear seems to vary, I hear different things about it. FWIW, my `97 E36 has pretty hard clear. I`m having to use the rotary/yellow or orange/H-T EC and it`s taking numerous passes (and I don`t mean just three or four). It`s pretty marred up from the previous owners, but it sure wasn`t *awful* looking and I`m pretty surprised by how aggressive I have to be to correct it. NO way would #80 do it on this car and I dunno if the #80/orange combo would work all that well anyhow, IMO the #80 is too mild to take full advantage of the orange pad. If doing it by PC, I`d use 4" pads with the H-T EC or something similarly aggressive then step down to something like the #80 or OCP with a polishing pad.