PDA

View Full Version : UPP usage questions

Pages : [1] 2

CoryB
01-19-2007, 10:55 PM
I`ve searched but didn`t find anything - maybe I used the wrong search terms :confused:

I`m coming from a Zaino world so I`m trying to make sense of the UPP directions and get a handle on the proper application and product usage.

Anyway, I put a coat of UPP on my Sunlight Silver 2007 MX-5 today. Temperature was ~53 degrees when I started, probably 50-ish when I finished. Tonight it will be in the upper 20s to low 30s. Will it still cure in 24 hours?

The UPP bottle says "Additional layers can be applied after 24 hours." Does that mean that after the first layer cures, I can do multiple additional layers or do I have to wait 24 hours between each layer? Is there any advantage to multiple layers after the first two?

With the Zaino, I`d use Z6 between layers of Z2 or Z5 with no waiting but I know the UPP doesn`t have any accelerator to make it cure faster. Can I use the Gloss Enhancer right away or do I need to wait the 24 hours before doing that?

Oh yeah, can I put it on the plastic headlights, taillights and side markers?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

socommatthews
01-19-2007, 11:03 PM
never used UPP but with other sealants the cold effects the drying or cure time so you might want to wait 2 days just to be safe.just my thoughts.

Accumulator
01-20-2007, 01:07 PM
CoryB- I use UPP on my S8.

I dunno how the cool temps will factor in but I bet it`ll slow down the curing. Some people even like to pull the car into the sun to help speed things up so I bet the cold weather *will* factor in. Waiting a little longer will probably be a good idea if you can keep it clean that long. Try the next coat on a small area and see if it smears/etc., which would mean it`s not gonna work out.

The cure time thing is *one* layer at a time with 24 hours between each one. If you reapply too soon it`ll do a solvent-action thing on the previous layer.

You could just add another coat after the next wash. I like to get a few layers on if I can for the added protection, but I find the UPP loses slickness after a few washes and so I always seem to be putting another layer on (to refresh the slickness) after every few washes anyhow.

Can`t really help with the UGE as the only time I`ve used it was after a wash when I didn`t have time to put on another UPP layer. *I* would wait so it doesn`t mess up the UPP that might not be cured, but I dunno for sure so if somebody else says it`s OK then cool.

I use it on all the other surfaces you mentioned, but put it on thin or you might get white residue stuck in the lettering on the tail lights (which can be a pain to get off/out). The UGE is handy for any white residue that *does* show up.

Don`t let any water drip onto the UPP while it`s curing, it can make for some serious PIA waterspots!

CoryB
01-20-2007, 02:50 PM
:thx Thanks for the advice guys!

Mad iX
01-22-2007, 07:48 PM
I`d recommend putting 2 layers on the first time just to ensure uniform coverage. Cold weather will effect curing time but as long as it stays dry it won`t be a problem.

SuperBuick
01-22-2007, 09:38 PM
I`m also interested in some further UPP application tips as I recently purchased a sample of UPP and I don`t have any directions/etc.

Am I correct in assuming that this is one of the best sealants for a silver car?

Accumulator
01-23-2007, 11:20 AM
SuperBuick- Well, *I* like it on silver but it`s gonna be a personal preference thing. I think it looks somewhat carnauba-like, which appeals to me more than, say KSG (which I *do* use on silver also). UPP has a good mix of sealant/wax characteristics and I find it more user-friendly than BF. It doesn`t darken/richen the finish as much as BF, which is fine with me, at least on silver.

SuperBuick
01-23-2007, 11:30 AM
Accumulator - would you liken it to Paste Glaz in the looks department?

What is the main appeal of UPP - is it durability?

ZaneO
01-23-2007, 11:41 AM
UPP has great slickness initially, but as Accumulator mentioned, that slickness is all but gone after a few washings. I wouldn`t say that durability is its strongest point but instead slickness and appearance.

Accumulator
01-23-2007, 12:10 PM
SuperBuick- The Paste Glaze comparison might be good, but to be honest it`s been *so* long since I used PG that I can`t say for sure. ZaneO got it right with his slickness/looks post.

If you want durability then UPP isn`t the one (IMO). The reason I use KSG on one of our (silver) vehicles is because KSG is so durable. I just happen to *really* dislike how it looks on Audi silver, that`s one of the *very* few things I`ve ever disliked so much that I stripped it off...but hey, that`s just me.

Note that I don`t know how well UPP really lasts; when the slickness drops off I redo it. I suspect that at *that* point it`s still protecting just fine. The slickness and look is just right *for me on that car* but I dunno if you`ll think it`s all that great :nixweiss Redoing it as often as I do is a bit of a PIA for me, but then I don`t enjoy this stuff the way some people do.

^&04types
01-23-2007, 01:08 PM
I`ve searched but didn`t find anything - maybe I used the wrong search terms :confused:

I`m coming from a Zaino world so I`m trying to make sense of the UPP directions and get a handle on the proper application and product usage.

Anyway, I put a coat of UPP on my Sunlight Silver 2007 MX-5 today. Temperature was ~53 degrees when I started, probably 50-ish when I finished. Tonight it will be in the upper 20s to low 30s. Will it still cure in 24 hours?

The UPP bottle says "Additional layers can be applied after 24 hours." Does that mean that after the first layer cures, I can do multiple additional layers or do I have to wait 24 hours between each layer? Is there any advantage to multiple layers after the first two?

With the Zaino, I`d use Z6 between layers of Z2 or Z5 with no waiting but I know the UPP doesn`t have any accelerator to make it cure faster. Can I use the Gloss Enhancer right away or do I need to wait the 24 hours before doing that?

Oh yeah, can I put it on the plastic headlights, taillights and side markers?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

ur thoughts on the wetness, clarity of UPP?

SuperBuick
01-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Hmm,

Based on some of these responses, seems like UPP is kind of pointless as a sealant. Assuming it looks *decent* on silver, but has limited durability, why not just go with something that looks GREAT (imho PG looks great, as does collinite 845/476) and has limited durability (PG) or GREAT durability (845/476). I dunno, hearing all this makes me wonder what exactly is the point of UPP - sounds like a compromise in all departments.

-T

imported_MCA
01-23-2007, 04:17 PM
UPP or PG are my appearance standards when it comes to silver cars. UPP has an extremely wet look (like oil on paint), smooth feel, and (unfortunately) horrible slickness retention. I can see it actively repelling/sheeting water so i know there is still some protection, but the slickness is simply non-existent after a few washes/storms. IMO, PG accentuates/emphasizes the silver - it makes the paint pop out. Once again durability is not a strong suit, but I believe it to be first and foremost a beauty wax.

In regards to the original poster, I layer over successive weeks with UPP. There is nothing scientific or empirical about this reason other than a crazy gut feeling. UPP leaves an extremely slick feel (probably from the oil content) and I like to wait longer because it feels "wet" (I told you it was a dumb reason - but I feel content).

Accumulator
01-24-2007, 12:05 PM
Hmm,

Based on some of these responses, seems like UPP is kind of pointless as a sealant. Assuming it looks *decent* on silver, but has limited durability, why not just go with something that looks GREAT (imho PG looks great, as does collinite 845/476) and has limited durability (PG) or GREAT durability (845/476). I dunno, hearing all this makes me wonder what exactly is the point of UPP - sounds like a compromise in all departments.

-T

The question of how good UPP looks is kinda pointless *IMO* because of the whole eye-of-the-beholder thing. *IMO* it looks great. The car I have UPP on looks better than the ones I have Collinite on (BY FAR), better than the one I have #16 on, and better than the one I have KSG on. I dunno if I`ve *ever* had anything look better than the UPP on my S8 (at least when it was freshly polished, still looks pretty good for a car that has *not* been polished/paint cleaned in nearly 3 years). Almost all my vehicles are silver/metallic gray/etc. and I`ve done a lot of side-by-side comparisons using the two identical Audis- UPP wins, *for me* and FWIW the S8 (with UPP on it) is the car that people really comment on, including people who see a million silver Audis. So I sure wouldn`t discount how good UPP looks but again, I honestly believe that beyond the basic characteristics of a given LSP, you just can`t go by what others say let alone by the appearance of pictures on the `net. Sorry if that sounded like a rant :o

Even though the slickness is short-lived, it *is* the best slickness I`ve ever experienced. Washing without marring is easy because [stuff] simply comes right off, it doesn`t stick to the paint. That, and the look, keep me using it on my good car. Its user-friendly nature sure doesn`t hurt either ;) And I`ll repeat, just because the slickness drops off that doesn`t mean the UPP isn`t durable. I`ve used it on old single stage that will oxidize when not protected and it stayed fine *long* after the slickness was gone.

Gee, I sound like some UPP vendor or something :o But seriously, if I thought some other product would be better on the S8 I`d quit using UPP and switch. If you find that Souveran, or Zymol (estate glazes), or Zaino, to pick three LSPs known for their special looks, look better, then cool, but UPP is in the "special" category too.

SuperBuick
01-24-2007, 02:04 PM
Accumulator - Awesome response. Thank you for taking the time to type that out. I guess going in I had the misconception that UPP was meant to be a good "sealant", in utilitarian use of the term. I was not looking at it as a beauty product, but in hindsight, knowing that it serves a purpose as a boutique product on a silver car is of importance for me. I`ve recently detailed a silver car (my first ful silver detail) and I`m looking for ideas of what "might" look good on it. On the boss`s (fiancee) car, which is silver, I`ve had good luck with products like 845 and old Zaino Z5. However for her my primary concern is durability (though I think those two products look great on silver). For my new car, durability is less of an issue, so I was looking for a "specialty" product for silver. Previous posts had me feeling like UPP was not that product, despite my impression that it was. Your last post has me feeling a bit better about it! Now i`m excited to try it. Does anyone have any experience using it as a "topper" over something more durable such as Zaino?

T