PDA

View Full Version : Polish and Pad progression

BigHonu
01-18-2007, 05:02 PM
When moving up the aggressiveness scale, do I change the type of pad first (i.e. LC white to LC orange) or do I change the polish first (i.e. FPII to IP)?

Thanks.

imported_Dave KG
01-18-2007, 05:08 PM
Type of pad first... eg, try for example FPII on a polishing pad and if that doesn`t work, try it on a light cutting pad. Then if necessary, move to Intensive Polish on a light cutting pad, and if necessary a cutting pad and so on...

thesacrifice
01-18-2007, 05:08 PM
I try product first....but experience is your friend and youll know right where to start usually.

derek37
01-19-2007, 01:29 AM
i too would say move up to a more aggressive polish. A more aggressive pad might instill more micromarring alot sooner.

Envious Eric
01-19-2007, 01:55 AM
^^^^agree on the polish first...pads micromar more than polish will

imported_Dave KG
01-19-2007, 05:04 AM
^^ While a more aggressive pad is more likely to instill marring, if you start off with a light polish (eg PO85RD) on a finishing pad (where I *always* start on a test section as you should never ever assume anything regarding a paint finish in front of you, no matter how many cars of similar type you have done - it takes just a few moment to trial low abrasives first and it may be thats all you need) then my next step up certainly wouldn`t be moving to a more aggressive polish (PO106FF) first, but to trial the PO85RD on a polishing pad (next up on the pad scale). A polishing pad is very unlikely to induce micromarring with 85RD. Just my personal technique though, we all use different methods.

Junebug
01-19-2007, 07:29 AM
Nobody said if it`s a PC or rotary. That would be helpful info. Personally, if it`s an older car - 4-5 years and just needs a good polishing to get the paint to shine ( I seem to get cars from owners that think rain does a good job cleaning a car) I use XMT#3 on a LC orange pad with a PC, spread it on 3, bump it to 6 and work the snot out of it til it`s clear. Then it`s ready for some sealer. Swirls, scratches etc - all done by rotary, I`ll start with a LC white pad then go to orange or yellow if required. Oh yeah, for this I use Meg`s #83.

BigHonu
01-19-2007, 02:27 PM
Thanks for all of the replies!

mose
01-19-2007, 03:17 PM
Hey Dave KG:

Is that you in your avatar? If not who is it?

imported_DieselMDX
01-19-2007, 03:39 PM
^^ While a more aggressive pad is more likely to instill marring, if you start off with a light polish (eg PO85RD) on a finishing pad (where I *always* start on a test section as you should never ever assume anything regarding a paint finish in front of you, no matter how many cars of similar type you have done - it takes just a few moment to trial low abrasives first and it may be thats all you need) then my next step up certainly wouldn`t be moving to a more aggressive polish (PO106FF) first, but to trial the PO85RD on a polishing pad (next up on the pad scale). A polishing pad is very unlikely to induce micromarring with 85RD. Just my personal technique though, we all use different methods.

very good points, i do the same thing

imported_Dave KG
01-19-2007, 06:49 PM
Hey Dave KG:

Is that you in your avatar? If not who is it?

Yes, thats me. :nervous:

ConglomrationAL
01-19-2007, 07:01 PM
You Scottish devil, you...