PDA

View Full Version : Grit Guard question

jw
01-18-2007, 02:47 PM
Does the grit guard go in the clean water or the dirty water? Also, where is the best place to buy a 12 inch diameter bucket. I didn`t think it would be too hard to find one, but i`ve gone to two different place and they don`t have them.

BobD
01-18-2007, 02:48 PM
Does the grit guard go in the clean water or the dirty water? Also, where is the best place to buy a 12 inch diameter bucket. I didn`t think it would be too hard to find one, but i`ve gone to two different place and they don`t have them.

A lot of people use it in both. I would use it in the bucket I throw the mitt or sponge into, which should be the clean water.

BigJimZ28
01-18-2007, 02:51 PM
I like one in each bucket, but if I were to use one it would be in the rinse bucket as that is where the dirt will end up

if should fit any standard 5 gallon bucket so most hardware or automotive stores should have them

Charisma
01-18-2007, 03:15 PM
I generally put it in the rinse bucket because that`s where the dirt ends up. Granted, some dirt does end up in the soapy bucket, but not nearly as much as the other one.

simracer
01-18-2007, 03:30 PM
Funny, just went through this myself since I got a Grit Guard with Christmas money. I`ll be using it with my rinse water.

The bucket I found was a 5 gallon bucket at Lowes for just under $6. It`s clear and is market with volume increments on the side which I figured could be handy and had a soft grip on the handle.

Lowes also has a plain 5 gallon solid white bucket that probably would have worked as well. It was just under $5.

In addition, Lowes also had a 3 or 3.5 gallon clear bucket like the larger 5 gallon bucket I got. I think it was also just under $5. It was shorter overall, but seemed to retain the same diameter of the 5 gallon buckets, so the grit guard would probably also work well with it.

I figured I`d probably rather err on the side of too much water rather than risk scrubbing stray dirt into the paint.

DirtySouth
01-18-2007, 04:03 PM
I was thinking about getting a grit guard as well, but I`m concerned its not really worth it. I think in most cases, the dirt/grit is floating around in the water. Obviously, if I were to leave the bucket alone for a while, the dirt/grit would settle to the bottom. So, what I`m saying is, if the dirt/grit is floating around in the water, how is the grit guard going to help me?

3Dog
01-18-2007, 04:27 PM
Some people will stick the mitt in the rinse water towards the top and shake.......When using the grit guard you should place the mitt in the bottom and rub across the grit guard to loosen any particles.

the other pc
01-18-2007, 04:52 PM
...I`m concerned its not really worth it. ..The guards by themselves are cheap. Their bucket system is nice but you don’t need to spend that much if you don’t want to. The Guards work in standard buckets.

...if the dirt/grit is floating around in the water, how is the grit guard going to help me?The height of the grill keeps your mitt/sponge/whatever from getting to the bottom where the grit falls. The bottom half of the GG are vanes that hold the grill up and keep water from swirling around the bottom of the bucket and lifting the grit up again.

PC.

AngieD
01-18-2007, 06:09 PM
Where is the best place to get a grit guard?

JohnZ3MC
01-18-2007, 06:16 PM
Where is the best place to get a grit guard?

Most every online shop has them for 9.95 or very close to that price.

If you`re handy with a small paintbrush and lacquer thinner, you can make your own but for 10 bucks, it`s hardly worth it. 10 bucks is like 2 grande moccha latte frappachinos with twists, swirls, and poutine sprinkles.

-John C.

BigAl3
01-18-2007, 08:12 PM
you can buy them here... buygritguard.com

imported_DieselMDX
01-18-2007, 09:02 PM
Most every online shop has them for 9.95 or very close to that price.

If you`re handy with a small paintbrush and lacquer thinner, you can make your own but for 10 bucks, it`s hardly worth it. 10 bucks is like 2 grande moccha latte frappachinos with twists, swirls, and poutine sprinkles.

-John C.

lol at moccha latte

Spilchy
01-18-2007, 09:23 PM
Grit Guard:

Grit Guardâ„¢ - US Plastic Corporation (http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=usplastic&category%5Fname=20326&product%5Fid=25277)

Bucket:

5 Gallon Buckets - US Plastic Corporation (http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=usplastic&category%5Fname=20327&product%5Fid=9715)

Seat:

Seat Cover for 5 Gallon Buckets - US Plastic Corporation (http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=usplastic&category%5Fname=24&product%5Fid=13920)

Dolly:

Item# 14842 | Northern Industrial Drum Dolly — 5 Gallon | Northern Tool + Equipment (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NTELargeImageView?rfno=18606&storeId=6970)