PDA

View Full Version : My car has a pimple

Stuff
01-17-2007, 09:10 PM
http://monkeystump666.googlepages.com/IMG_2589Medium.JPG

Yes I know not the best pic and the paint is not looking the worlds best. But the DD is in winter mode as you can see by the tires. Anyways.... This little problem has been getting worse and worse and I think its about time I stop it before it gets worse. Its a small bubbled up area in the paint that is starting to rust at the bottom. So how should I go about fixing it? I know very little when it comes to this kind of body work. Im going to go read up on wet sanding because I`m sure that will be needed. So what do I need to know what do I need to buy? Thanks a lot for your help.

gtpaul
01-17-2007, 09:27 PM
If your going to attempt it,

pull off the bumper because the rust is likely to be in behind the panel.

If it`s bubbling wetsanding won`t do anything your going to have to sand down to the metal, reprime and respray.

Stuff
01-17-2007, 11:15 PM
If your going to attempt it,

pull off the bumper because the rust is likely to be in behind the panel.

If it`s bubbling wetsanding won`t do anything your going to have to sand down to the metal, reprime and respray.

I was thinking that taking the bumper off would be a good idea. Not sure if I should take a knife or something and peel off the bad effected area. Then mask it off and prime the paint. What should I use for primer? Where to get it? I then know where to get some factory color and clear. Spray that then I`m guessing wet sand a polish. Should I look into something to fill in the affected area before painting? Bondo? I know most would just take it to a body shop. But I really to to DYI stuff, learn and experiment. Thanks for any help.

gtpaul
01-18-2007, 07:00 AM
I`d prime with POR-15

Grimm
01-18-2007, 08:07 AM
Sand down to metal, then prime it with POR-15 or Eastwood`s Rust Encapsulator before you paint.

velobard
01-18-2007, 10:17 AM
This is really a job for a body shop of you want it fixed right. You`ll have to pull the bumper because there`s certain to be more rust behind the edge of it, then get rid of ALL the rust or it will just spread again. Obviously by the time that`s finished you`ll have to prime and paint. If you just want to slow or stop the damage and have a proper repair done later go for it yourself, but I sure wouldn`t try it on my own car.

STG
01-18-2007, 12:06 PM
More like cancer than a pimple!

Smashraj84
01-18-2007, 12:09 PM
I`m a DIY person as well, but there`s a point where it`s not worth your time.

Stuff
01-19-2007, 11:09 AM
Thanks a lot guys for your help. I`m going to try this in a few weeks when I have the time. Wish me luck. If it goes terribly then I will take It to a body shop. I will post some pics when I`m all done.

Grimm
01-19-2007, 11:18 AM
It was a good suggestion to remove the bumper. But from what I`ve read on using POR-15 or Rust Encapsulator is that they will indeed keep any rust from spreading. I haven`t used it myself, but I am planning to try it in the spring on some doors that are starting to rust at the bottom. I would still try and remove the rust, but if you use one of those products afterwards you should be good to go. And depending on bad the surface looks after you extract the cancer you will probably need to apply some body filler to smooth out the surface.

So you need to:

Sand to metal

Prime with rust inhibitor

Body filler if needed

Prime again with regular primer

Paint

Clear

You can wet sand the color if you make a mistake, but remember you need an unadulterated layer of color down before you clear, otherwise it will look bad.