PDA

View Full Version : In need on Polish...Buy PC or Hire Detailer?

Basshog
01-17-2007, 04:30 PM
My Black truck is going to be in need of a light polish to remove some swirls that I have acquired (acquiring) and I am in debate of buying a PC and the proper supplies to do it myself. However, I am not sure how much all of this would cost. I am a college student and on a small budget and want to do what is most cost effective (short term? long term?). How much would it cost to have a GOOD detailer polish my truck? I would prep my vehicle prior and wax it after so the detailer would really only need to polish and seal it.

My questions are:

1) How much would it cost for a PC and the neccesary supplies?

2) How much would it cost for my truck to be polished by a detailer (no wash/wax)?

sixty7mustang22
01-17-2007, 04:42 PM
It would almost if not cost the same for the detail as it would for yout to buy the PC.

You can get a good starter kit for around $200 with everything you need from AutoGeek. You would probably pay a good detailer $175 to $250 for a exterior polish.

I would get the PC and learn to do it myself. That way, you could do it to your car when it needs a good polish later and you could also make a little extra money.

It is up to you what you want though.

Envious Eric
01-17-2007, 04:57 PM
pc - around 90 bucks

get a few pads - $10 each

get some good polish - optimum line = 30 bucks...

a few MF towels - 10 bucks

a good wax of choice - ?

total - 160+....

pay someone else to fix your truck, and then 6 months to a year later do it again = 300 a year. The polish and pads and PC and wax will easily last you over 4 years if you did it every 4 months....thats something to think about

BlueZero
01-17-2007, 05:10 PM
I was in the same place last spring. I got a few prices to have it done. It was about the same as buying everything I needed to do it myself. Plus as toyotaguy stated, you can do it again whenever it needs it.

Juztang
01-17-2007, 05:18 PM
I agree, the PC is totally worth the investment. I really recommend the Lake Country pads. As far as polishes, you can`t go wrong with Optimum,Menzerna,Poorboys, etc. You will save more money if you buy all of this in a package deal. I would get at least 2 of each pads...white polishing,orange light cutting, and gray finishing.

DTailN
01-17-2007, 05:33 PM
I`m new to detailing but went ahead a got a PC after spending about a month on different detailing forums. I bought the PC 7424 and the 6" Edge 2k pad kit. I was a little hesitant at first but I`m glad I made the investment. You can do a lot by hand but not near as much as you can accomplish with the PC. And for what you would pay to have your black truck polished once you`ll have your own that you can use whenever you need it. And considering your truck is black . . . I don`t think you`ll regret it.

aaron33
01-17-2007, 07:16 PM
If you have the time, then it would be good to learn to do it yourself. Who knows, you might have your neighbours asking you to do their car for $80-100 a pop (that is if the cost of your time is not that high).

Grimm
01-17-2007, 08:47 PM
I would suggest buying the equipment. Your cost will be between $200 and $250 depending on how far you want to go. $200 will get you a PC, a couple pads, polishes (say Optimum Hyper Compound and Polish), and a backing plate. But then you may want some wax if you don`t have any. You`ll need some microfibers, at least the $11 pack at Sams. It really starts to add up and become an addiction for many. But the good thing is you have this stuff for life. You can do many cars with the polish and pads if you want to do a little polishing for extra money, or it will last you a few years doing your own every so often. I`m all about best bang for the buck, so that is my suggestion.

Basshog
01-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Looks like I will be buying me own PC and equipment!

imported_Yal
01-18-2007, 01:38 PM
And if you can find a Lowes near you you may be able to get the PC`s twin the PC 7336 on clearance for just under $50.