PDA

View Full Version : Another kind of masking tape...

imported_doctordon
01-17-2007, 10:02 AM
A friend around the corner makes viynl sinage for trucks, etc. She cuts the letters out and then places an application tape over the top to keep the lettering aligned..yatta-yatta.

Well, this application tape is nothing but a form of semi-transparent, wide masking tape that is by-the-square-inch a fair bit cheaper than 3M Blue, etc. It comes in a variety of grips ..variety of widths (1" to 60" in one catalog I have: ameriba.com) ...variety of brands. I used it recently when masking off two wheels on my Boxster to fix some rash and here... to make a mask when I applied Ragg Top to my ragtop.

http://wetstuff.com/ideas/pre_mask.jpg

This may have been covered before, but I`m fairly new to the party, so forgive if this post is soooo-old news.

Cheers.

Jim

BobD
01-17-2007, 10:10 AM
Their site didn`t work for me.

imported_doctordon
01-17-2007, 11:13 AM
Danase: This one Application Transfer Tape for graphic film materials for Vinyl Cutters - TransferRite / Clear Tear (http://www.beacongraphics.com/transferrite.html) will work better to show you. The other outfit has some bogus code you need to enter. I have the printed catalog, so I`ve never had to go online..

ji m

medic159
01-17-2007, 11:45 AM
Now this is very interesting. For ages I`ve been looking for something to use on my car when traveling to shows, something I can apply and easily take off without residue. I wonder if this stuff has enough grip to survive being applied to the front of the body, on bodywork behind wheels, etc. and being driven for a couple of hours at highway speeds?

imported_doctordon
01-17-2007, 12:31 PM
DFT: I`ve left it on in the rain but never drove with it on... It`s good about not leaving anything behind ...it is after all used in the application of signs where a fair bit of squeege pressure is used to get the air out of the viynl letters underneath...

I`ve got two different types. I`d send you a couple of clips if you want to see it, or simply stop at any sign shop. It`s a disposable item for them - it goes in the trash when they`re done.

j i m

BobD
01-18-2007, 08:07 AM
How does it do if you hit the edge of the tape with a DA?