PDA

View Full Version : White Stains on Polish Aluminum

pyro
01-15-2007, 11:37 PM
Hi peeps, I accidentally used chrome cleaner on my polish aluminum wheels. The result is white stains on the wheels which I cannot get it off dispite using many different metal polish like Autosol, 3M Mag and Aluminum Polish etc. How can I get rid of the white stain on the wheels? Thanks a mil.

beemerboy1
01-16-2007, 10:36 AM
Hi peeps, I accidentally used chrome cleaner on my polish aluminum wheels. The result is white stains on the wheels which I cannot get it off dispite using many different metal polish like Autosol, 3M Mag and Aluminum Polish etc. How can I get rid of the white stain on the wheels? Thanks a mil.

In working on aluminum you need heat and that`s created by a power tool of some sort. You can get a Megs power ball that attaches to a drill and that will get the product hot and break down your metal taking off the dots that you have.

The polish that you have is good to use, again heat is needed.

Also once you have polished it up and its black in residue, use some baking soda on a rag to wipe that black stuff off. Put the BS on a rag and wipe the rim up, then with a clean rag wipe that clean. The BS will absorb the black residue up right away leaving the metal streak free..its a trick that I learned some years back from a guy up in Washington state

coupe
01-16-2007, 10:41 AM
Mother power ball and aluminum polish will clean them right up.

pyro
01-16-2007, 06:25 PM
Thanks for all the advice! Really apppreciated it. Just another question...if I rub metal polish like Autosol on the rims and the cloth turns black...it means the aluminum is not clear coated rite? Is the above method safe for clear coated and non clear-coated polish aluminum?

pyro
01-16-2007, 06:29 PM
Opps...another question. Will the Mother Power Ball scratch the polish aluminum? Sorry as I`m a newbie to detailing. But I`m leanrning a lot from this forum. :chuckle:

aaron33
01-16-2007, 07:54 PM
Don`t use ANY metal polish on clear coated rims as it will cut through the clear and you`ll be left with exposed metal.

beemerboy1
01-16-2007, 08:42 PM
Opps...another question. Will the Mother Power Ball scratch the polish aluminum? Sorry as I`m a newbie to detailing. But I`m leanrning a lot from this forum. :chuckle:

I`ll answer both question here

The Mothers ball ( I thought it was Megs) will not do any harm to your rims its made from foam.

Second you are right if the rag you are using is turning black while using metal polish they are not clear coated...On clear coatded rims a mild auto polish will do just fine then a high temp sealant would be my / is choice

pyro
01-16-2007, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the info! I`ll try to get myself the Mothers ball. I also saw that there are 2 type of powerball, one is powerball mini and the other powerball mini md(metal doctor)...I`ll need the one with the md or the normal one with any metal polish will do?

coupe
01-17-2007, 07:28 AM
I have both, they seem the same to me.

You can actually leave buffer trails with it if you apply to much pressure and are at to high of an RPM.

pyro
01-18-2007, 01:00 AM
Then maybe I`ll try get the normal powerball mini...the md version is only exclusive on their online store and I`m not iving in the US....nevertheless thanks for the info and I`ll try the mentioned methods to remove the white stains.