PDA

View Full Version : carbon fiber hood help?

thait
01-15-2007, 07:18 PM
hey im going to go to my last resort if it comes to it and just buy a new cf hood if i have to.

here are some pic of my current one and i want to bring it back.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/thait/Prelude/DSCN0497_640x480.jpg

heres what happened. i bought the hood alittle faded so i sanded with 2000 wetsand and then spray on the clear (i messed up rushing by sanding it improperly because i didnt get rid of all the fade). then it was nice but dull. then i heard on the prelude forum that i can get a rubbing compound so i bought the 3m rubbing compound and use it and it turned like this. also i burned the bottom right side of the hood. do u think it is fixeable? and what do i need to buy to get it fixed? thanks for reading.

audicoupej
01-15-2007, 07:52 PM
It`s hard to say from the pictures. If you still have sanding marks under the clear than there is only one way to fix that, resand down to the marks and finish it out properly. If you don`t want to try that then get a finer polish. Rubbing compound is way too harsh. What type of machine are you buffing with? You might need a polish pad not a cut pad, which is what it looks like you are using. Try to take more pictures and some close ups.

Good results take time. Try it again with some guidance from autopia and you should be able to at least make it look better.

BobD
01-15-2007, 07:54 PM
If you are doing this by hand chances are you did not burn the paint. Why did you spray it with clear? Most carfon fiber hoods, depending on the quality, are either gel coated or have a clear on them. You should be able to polish carbon fiber just as you would paint. If you are doing it by hand you might want to find a detailing in your area that has a DA or rotary and that knows what they are doing and have them go at it.

thait
01-15-2007, 07:55 PM
cool thanks. do u have a link to the guildence? i want to take my time now to fix the hood then to waste 400 on a new hood. ill get better picture 2morrow or wednesday since its alittle dark tonight

BigJimZ28
01-15-2007, 08:10 PM
cool thanks. do u have a link to the guildence?

art here: Autopia Guide to Detailing (http://guidetodetailing.com/)