PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about Jeffs Werkstatt Acrylic Jett, kinda confused about Prime though

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

coupe
01-15-2007, 11:30 AM
I am interested about using acrylic sealants on my car now. Its gonna be a hard switch for me since im a nuaba lover through and through.

I seen that Jeffs Werkstatt is pretty popular around here. So i searched the C&B section and fell in love with the look of it immediately.

I dont understand what Prime really is though.

I thought maybe it was a type of cleaner wax/sealant but that dont make much sense becuase i see in the C&B section everyone did a 2-3 step polish and then used prime then the acrylic Jett. Of course people use Klasse AIO after a 2-3 step polish job which i dont understand either :nixweiss

Then i thought maybe it was some type of bonding agent but they dont say anything like that in their description on their site.

So i guess my question is, do i need Prime if im gonna be using Acrylic Jett as a sealant?

imported_mburnickas
01-15-2007, 11:40 AM
You do not NEED it but the products are used together. You do need something before AJt or AJ. I use both primes (strong and acrylic). It cleans the surface pretty good. Some are using OPT poli-seal then topping with AJT or AJ.

jasonmac
01-15-2007, 12:44 PM
I think of Prime/AJ (or Prime Strong in my case) the same way as AIO/SG.

imported_smprince1
01-15-2007, 12:44 PM
I agree, you don`t NEED Prime before AJ, just like you don`t NEED AIO before SG. However, the LSP will work much better because Prime leaves a perfectly prepped slick surface for the AJ to bond to and also has some acrylic protection of it`s own.

The 2 step polish before Prime and AIO that you mentioned are most likely for swirl removal / paint correction. Prime and AIO don`t do much in that department.

I tried Prime Strong followed by AJ and I am now a fan. Very economical since you use so little, excellent look and durability.

Just my $.02.

coupe
01-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Why do i need something before it?

After a 2-3 step polish the surface is gonna already be perfectly clean. Even after using just a finishing polish the surface would be perfectly clean.

coupe
01-15-2007, 01:03 PM
I agree, you don`t NEED Prime before AJ, just like you don`t NEED AIO before SG. However, the LSP will work much better because Prime leaves a perfectly prepped slick surface for the AJ to bond to and also has some acrylic protection of it`s own..

But after polishing your already gonna have a slick, prepped surface.

The 2 step polish before Prime and AIO that you mentioned are most likely for swirl removal / paint correction. Prime and AIO don`t do much in that department..

Of course polishing is for paint correction......

Since those 2 dont do much in that department (which i already knew) it makes me wonder why people use them.

imported_smprince1
01-15-2007, 01:22 PM
Again, I don`t think it`s NEEDED .... just adds another level of prep and protection.

Will clean any oils or other contaminants (if any, I guess depends of types of polish used and how effective residue removal) prior to applying AJ and also adds a layer of acrylic protection on it`s own.

I use Prime Strong before AJ or AJT and I have no regrets. If you decide to use AJ or AJT without Prime please let us know what you think.

Pennypacker
01-15-2007, 01:50 PM
Since those 2 dont do much in that department (which i already knew) it makes me wonder why people use them.

People don`t use them for paint correction in the sense of clearing out swirls, but rather for cleaning contaminants, industrial fallout, etc, something that straight abrasive polishes aren`t generally designed to do. They also lay down a little protection. There is very minimal cut action in them to the point where it`s almost barely worth mentioning. Prime Strong`s a little better at this though. You can consider Prime to be like an updated and enhanced version of Klasse AIO.

DM101
01-15-2007, 02:04 PM
After cleaning with a polish say optimum polish you will want a base coat that will allow the AJ to fully ahear to the paint. That is where Prime comes in. Prime gives you a base coat. Me I am a nuba man so I use Men. PO85RD, Red Moose Glaze, the Pin. Sourveran. The Men. is a cleaner-base coat the glaze adds optical brightners, the the PS is my LSP.

coupe
01-15-2007, 02:07 PM
People don`t use them for paint correction in the sense of clearing out swirls, but rather for cleaning contaminants, industrial fallout, etc, something that straight abrasive polishes aren`t generally designed to do. They also lay down a little protection. There is very minimal cut action in them to the point where it`s almost barely worth mentioning. Prime Strong`s a little better at this though. You can consider Prime to be like an updated and enhanced version of Klasse AIO.

That dosent make any sense.

Abbrasive polishing removes all those things for sure.

example:

You polish out your finish with:

OHC and a cutting pad

OC with a polishing pad

OP with a finishing pad

At this point your finish will be perfectly cleaned and prepped, there will be no contaminants, swirls, etches, fallout etc.

LSP

It dont make any sense to use AIO or Prime or any product like these after a full 3 step polish.

coupe
01-15-2007, 02:10 PM
After cleaning with a polish say optimum polish you will want a base coat that will allow the AJ to fully ahear to the paint. That is where Prime comes in. Prime gives you a base coat. Me I am a nuba man so I use Men. PO85RD, Red Moose Glaze, the Pin. Sourveran. The Men. is a cleaner-base coat the glaze adds optical brightners, the the PS is my LSP.

That is the only thing that makes sense. The only problem i have with that is these company`s make no mention about that.

DM101
01-15-2007, 02:21 PM
"""""The formula builds on the exceptional protective qualities of the exclusive German polyethylene-acrylic nano-scale polymers by incorporating surface cleaners that prep the paint to create an exceptionally smooth surface to which the protective materials can bond. By using ultra-fine nano scale particles, Prime can achieve unparalleled surface density, improving resistance to environmental factors such as heat, acid, and ultraviolet damage as well as mechanical damage from surface contaminants that would otherwise mar or scratch.

As a second benefit, this microscopically smooth and level coating possesses superior optical characteristics. The ultra smooth surface ensures that low-angle incident light is brilliantly reflected for mirror-like images while the high refractive index of our acrylic polymers allows high-angle light to refract into the dense polymer coating for improved depth of color. And, the light transmittance of acrylic polymers exceeds that of optical glass, ensuring that Prime reveals the beauty of your paint with unobstructed clarity.""""""

That is what Prime is for. You can use it as your LSP or added qualities with AJ.

-----------ZOOM-ZOOM-------

jasonmac
01-15-2007, 02:48 PM
It dont make any sense to use AIO or Prime or any product like these after a full 3 step polish.

That`s right, or I agree :), but in order for some sealants/LSPs to bond properly, you might need a base of something other than a polished surface to get the maximum durability that particular LSP claims.

imported_doctordon
01-15-2007, 05:06 PM
Coupe: I`m a civilian who has used Klasse SG (KSG) for a couple of years. I thought it was like the old days when Caranuba in-a-can was a bi_ch to use; but the rewards were worth it. I found it difficult to follow the maxium: less is more.

I find Jeffs easier. I use Prime strong, like others before mentioned, followed up with Acrylic Jeffs. I bought Jeffs Caranuba but have set it aside because almost everyone here says Silver looks better in Acrylic.

I`m happy with how easy it is to use. I`ve applied it by hand and with a 4" air polisher on another car. By hand with a foam pad is very easy. It levels off (perhaps it is already a dilute..? ) a helluva lot easier than thicker KSG. I follow a microfiber hand rub with a Polartec pad on an orbital buffer. I`m pretty happy with the results.

j i m

http://wetstuff.com/ideas/911_garage.jpg

Mr. Clean
01-15-2007, 06:15 PM
... I follow a microfiber hand rub with a Polartec pad on an orbital buffer.

??? I`m familiar with the fabric Polartec (a poly fleece material), is this what you are talking about?