PDA

View Full Version : Pad that come with the Porter Cable

simracer
01-15-2007, 10:00 AM
Hello all,

Just one quick question...

I`ve heard it said many times that the pad that is included with the Porter Cable isn`t suited for automotive finishes.

However, I recently saw that properautocare.com has them for sale on their site. I`m curious because I wouldn`t think they would even offer them for sale if they weren`t suitable for use on your vehicle.

What do you think?

Thanks!

budman3
01-15-2007, 10:15 AM
Does it matter? If you get it... don`t use it.... if you don`t get it, who cares. Porter Cable sends all venders the same thing with the 7424, the machine, pad, manual. This vender wouldn`t be any different.

FWIW, the pad itself isn`t the bad part, IMO. I thought it was very soft and would be a good finishing pad... so I used it on a spare hood. The pad unglued itself from the backing plate and that is where you`d get into trouble with paint damage.

simracer
01-15-2007, 11:01 AM
Good point. Hadn`t thought about the foam pad delaminating itself from the backing plate. Indeed, bad news.

That`s what I needed to know.

Thanks!

I`m expecting my Lake Country backing plate and foam pads today. Unfortunately with temps below freezing and an inch of ice on everything outside, I don`t think I`ll get a chance to use them for a while. :(

kompressornsc
01-15-2007, 11:26 AM
I use mine to polish my acrylic tub enclosure. :)

imported_MCA
01-15-2007, 11:52 AM
I find the OEM pad to be excellent at deep cleaning windows - Use your glass polish of choice (VM, AIO, AGGP, etc) and work it @ speed 3. Apply extremely minimal pressure...let the chemical product do the work.

Bbasso
01-15-2007, 04:35 PM
I got in a jam and had to use the PC pad, It was not bad...

I also buffed a headlight, the thing was all nasty and hardly any light was able to get thru. Now it looks like new.

That pad, not bad for a quick fix. Imho.

Kanchou
01-15-2007, 07:24 PM
so, stock pad for glass. good conclusion. :)

simracer
01-15-2007, 11:21 PM
Great suggestions everyone. Glad to know that the pad won`t go to waste.

I got my new 5.5 inch Lake Country white pads today. Not that they will of much use with temperatures below freezing and a half inch of ice on the ground. They seems pretty close to the texture of the Porter Cable pad, but as has been mentioned, the consequences of the PC foam coming away from the backing plate would be bad news for your paint. Not such a big deal on household glass or your tub.

Thanks all!

backwoods_lex
01-21-2007, 01:31 PM
It`s really ghetto, but I am in the process of slicing mine up in rows to make a mini polisher for wheels. When the pad is neatly sliced up, I`m going to make a tight "ribbon ball" out of it and make it adaptable for a drill. It`s free and should help out when cleaning 20 spoke wheels with heavy break dust.