PDA

View Full Version : So then we should leave SG on over night???

Pages : [1] 2

danforz
01-13-2007, 10:26 PM
Hey guys, the WOWO method for SG seems to be very popular, and a few mentioned that they let it haze for 15 minutes. After reading an interview with someone from the Klasse company, he suggests letting it sit over night. He insists that this actually makes it EASIER to wipe off and offers a greater shine?

What are your thoughts?

Here is the article:

Interview with Klasse USA (http://www.properautocare.com/inwiklusa.html)

yankees1
01-14-2007, 08:50 AM
Most important is to make sure you put it on with very thin coats! If you think you have SG on thin enough than reduce the amount by half! Believe me, I learned the hard way! Once it dries, I don`t think it will make much of a difference when you take it off. Experiment! I prefer to take it off after a few minutes.

shortspark
01-14-2007, 09:00 AM
I would not risk it. It is too dificult to put just the right thin coat on. Too much and you will have a heck of a time to buff it out if it sits overnight. The wowo method is easier and I don`t think it maks much difference, especially if you put on three coats with at least a 12 hours wait between coats. If you do try it and it hazes too much, go ahead and mix a solution of 3 parts SG with 1 part distilled water in a mister bottle. Spray it on like a QD and it will make it much easier to remove.

porta
01-14-2007, 10:28 AM
I did a test on a scrap bonnet, if properly polished and followed with Carlack68(Klasse AIO) and then with Carlack sealang glaze(Klasse SG) i left it on for over 24hours and did a pretty thin layer. It came off very easy.

Put it thin.

imported_MCA
01-14-2007, 11:38 AM
I have a process that has never failed me - NOTE: A garage is a requirement for this:

1) I apply SG to the car as thin as possible (whisper-thin is not a neccessity)

2) I do not remove and let it sit overnight (this is where the garage is needed).

3) I found that letting it sit overnight does aid in removal, but I use Sonus Acrylic Glanz to remove this SG layer - Removal is a breeze, technically adds more protection due to SAG`s composition, and IMO, the look is a better. (In the future, I am planning to test this using AW).

I have never seen any durability loss with this process and I know that there is nothing that would inhibit another layer of SG.

Accumulator
01-14-2007, 12:28 PM
I too apply super-thin and often let it set up overnight (in a very clean garage), or even longer if something comes up, before I buff it off. I`ve even experimented with goofy-thick applications and the longer I let it set up (I`ve tried as long as 3.5 days) the easier it buffed off.

Changeling
01-14-2007, 03:02 PM
If for some reason it did become troublesome to remove, couldn`t you just put a MF bonnet over a wool or regular pad and use the PC to remove?

How many MF bonnets would be necessary on an average size vehicle if you did it this way?

Changeling

danforz
01-14-2007, 04:09 PM
What if I don`t have a garage, is it bad to leave it over night? Will particles get stuck in the wax???

imported_Lightman
01-14-2007, 08:26 PM
I have discovered a perfect process. Take your SG and dump it into a spray bottle to mix with water and use as an occasional glanz/booster if you like. Get some CG f-seal or your choice of modern day sealant and they will wipe off with ease. F-seal wipes off like souveran. Dries in 15 cures in 25 min..

firegate
01-14-2007, 08:37 PM
What if I don`t have a garage, is it bad to leave it over night? Will particles get stuck in the wax???

Don`t leave it overnight if it`s not in a controlled environment like a garage. Dust and dirt will build up and will probably induce scratches when you go to remove the SG.

Accumulator
01-15-2007, 01:41 PM
Danforz- Yeah, what firegate said :xyxthumbs This waiting business is only for people with the right shop environment. I wouldn`t do it in my previous shop, let alone outside.

Changeling- Oddly enough, I often find the MF bonnets-on-PC method to be *less* effective for removing a stubborn product. Applying much pressure causes the PC to bog down and merely "jiggle", probably because the combined weight of the pad and bonnet is *much* more than the weight of a single sheet of sandpaper (what the PC is designed to use, and that`s without applied pressure). When faced with tenacious residues, I find it more effective to work by hand. Hope you don`t put the KSG on so thick that you have to worry about any of this ;)

Changeling
01-15-2007, 02:44 PM
Danforz- Yeah, what firegate said :xyxthumbs This waiting business is only for people with the right shop environment. I wouldn`t do it in my previous shop, let alone outside.

Changeling- Oddly enough, I often find the MF bonnets-on-PC method to be *less* effective for removing a stubborn product. Applying much pressure causes the PC to bog down and merely "jiggle", probably because the combined weight of the pad and bonnet is *much* more than the weight of a single sheet of sandpaper (what the PC is designed to use, and that`s without applied pressure). When faced with tenacious residues, I find it more effective to work by hand. Hope you don`t put the KSG on so thick that you have to worry about any of this ;)

No, No, you beat the right way (KSG application) into my gray matter, LOL!! I was strictly speaking in a hypothetical way. Actually, your answer surprised me, I would have thought the PC would have made it easier.

I think though that a little of your expertise would be very much appreciated when dealing with "tenacious residues". We are all going to get into this problem wether we want to admit it or not ! This would probably be better done as a separate post, so look for it appearing in a new post. You did it to your self.;)

Changeling

Affrojuice
01-15-2007, 04:41 PM
I put the KSG on and let it sit for about half an hour. When i started buffing off it was very difficult to remove. I found that i had to apply a lot of pressure by hand to get the residue to come off. I am worried that i might have introduced new swirls into the paint because i had to rub so hard. If i had let it set up overnight would it have been easier to remove the next day? also when i was applying the KSG by hand, it seemed that if i tried to apply a very thin coat the foam applicator pad would dry up after just a few swipes and i couldnt see any product actually getting onto the paint. What is the best way to apply a thin layer?

foxtrapper
01-16-2007, 06:44 AM
I did side by side comparison testing of WOWO, and 12 or 24 hour wait layers. No discernable difference in shine or life.

Accumulator
01-16-2007, 12:25 PM
..I would have thought the PC would have made [buffing off the SG residue] easier..

Assuming you`re using ~6" bonnets, the large surface area rubbing against the dried product results in a lot of friction. When you apply the pressure this is too much for the PC and it quits rotating and merely oscillates (i.e., it only does one-half of its usual two motions). A Cyclo is much better in this regard as you can really lean on it without any bogging.

Affrojuice- Your unfortunate experience sounds like a classic case of a too-thick application. When I apply KSG I put it on so thin that I can`t readily see it on the paint. As long as I`ve worked systematically and carefully I know I did effect adequate/uniform coverage so I don`t let that bother me. Fogging the surface with my breath allows me to confirm it as the condensation will show the SG is really on there.

There are a number of methods for applying it thinly, but here`s what *I* do: I hold the foam applicator over the top of the bottle and shake it- this deposits a drop of SG on the pad. Then I move the pad and shake again. I repeat this until I have a sufficient amount of SG on the pad (and that isn`t much). When the pad starts to drag too much (the drying out that you experienced) I repeat the process again. Yeah, it`s a bit of a pain but I`m used to it and it`s not as bad as having to struggle with the removal.

And yeah, IMO it probably would`ve buffed off easier had you waited longer (at least that was *my* experience).

Also, maybe SG just isn`t the right product for you. I`ve heard *so* many complaints about it being a PIA that, even though I find it easy to use, I`ve concluded that a lot of people oughta just use something else. Life`s too short to struggle with one of the innumerable good products on the market.