PDA

View Full Version : Over the Counter Clay Recomendation

RRnTexas
01-09-2007, 09:21 PM
First, I want to say that this is an OUTSTANDING forum. I have been lurking for a month or so with the goal of learning how to optimize the appearance of my new Acura MDX (Nimbus Grey Metallic). The amount of information on detailing products and techniques is amazing (really almost overwhelming). Also, the passion demonstrated by posters and the unselfish sharing of knowledge, particularly by the pros is really inspiring. I hope to share the fruits of my efforts in a week or two, weather and schedule permitting.

My question is what over the counter clay bar would you recommend for a new car. Naturally, I would like clay with a mild abrasive like that of Sonus Ultra Fine but would prefer to purchase retail if a similar product is available.

Thanks,

RR

Evenflow
01-09-2007, 09:26 PM
Clay Magic Blue

beemerboy1
01-09-2007, 09:30 PM
First, I want to say that this is an OUTSTANDING forum. I have been lurking for a month or so with the goal of learning how to optimize the appearance of my new Acura MDX (Nimbus Grey Metallic). The amount of information on detailing products and techniques is amazing (really almost overwhelming). Also, the passion demonstrated by posters and the unselfish sharing of knowledge, particularly by the pros is really inspiring. I hope to share the fruits of my efforts in a week or two, weather and schedule permitting.

My question is what over the counter clay bar would you recommend for a new car. Naturally, I would like clay with a mild abrasive like that of Sonus Ultra Fine but would prefer to purchase retail if a similar product is available.

Thanks,

RR

Mothers, Megs and Clay Magic all offer kits with the lube and everything that you will need, anyone of them is about the same as the other. For what you are going to be doing removing new cars stuff they will do the trick

mixxmstrmike
01-09-2007, 09:30 PM
I second the Clay Magic Blue. Very widely available from my experience. It could be just a tad softer, in my opinion, but it has been my "go to" clay for my vehicles.

-Mike

ConglomrationAL
01-09-2007, 09:33 PM
When was the last time your car was clayed? If it`s never been clayed and your car is over 3 years old i`d get the Sonus block clay bar. Also, if you buy that now from the Autopia store you get a free bar of the Ultra fine detail clay. Give it a shot you might like em.

Authrom
01-09-2007, 09:34 PM
I have mothers and it works fine, but I think this is one of those cases where anything will work...

RRnTexas
01-09-2007, 09:48 PM
When was the last time your car was clayed? If it`s never been clayed and your car is over 3 years old i`d get the Sonus block clay bar. Also, if you buy that now from the Autopia store you get a free bar of the Ultra fine detail clay. Give it a shot you might like em.

Thanks. It is brand spanking new. Never even been washed except the dealer`s initial wash.

tyoung
01-10-2007, 10:08 AM
The Clay Magic is almost half the cost of the others too, which is nice.

coupe
01-10-2007, 11:08 AM
I exclusively use claymagic.

Why?

1. Can get it OTC at autozone, advance auto, pepboys, napa, carquest, just about anywhere depending on your area.

2. Its cheap, very cheap in comparison to megs and mothers claybar kits.

3. Its extremely affective, havent come across paint that it was inaffective on and ive clayed vehicles that where HORRID.

BigAl3
01-10-2007, 01:58 PM
get the claymagic kit at autozone, can`t beat it for $10.99...

ca8680
01-10-2007, 02:46 PM
get the claymagic kit at autozone, can`t beat it for $10.99...

I just Saw that yesterday i think im gonna be using strictly clay magic.....

imported_Lightman
01-10-2007, 04:24 PM
RRNTexas do a search for a thread called something like `we need better clay` from RAG i believe. It had some really good discussion and comparisons of various clay brands and types. Hope that helps. I`m also on the hunt for some new clay as my griot`s has reached the end of its days .

FYI - klasse sg eats clay. I`ve been trying to get rid of my sg so I made a glanz with water and use it as a qd sometimes, and recently used it as a clay lube.. Well my clay shortly after started disintegrating and is toast...just a heads up.