PDA

View Full Version : prospecting

tooklean
04-23-2005, 05:46 PM
Today it rained in sw Pennsylvania. took my sons out and did some prospecting. We hit about 60 houses with flyers. Placed cards at 3 different upscale bars, put some in the local nail salon, the ford dealership and the auto parts store. hopefully it will bring in a job or two. When business is slow what do you guys do to help your cause.

AMDin93103
04-24-2005, 12:37 AM
I do the same thing you did. It was a slow day yesterday so I trolled around and shot the shat with some auto-related shops and then went and talked to a few small businesses that have private lots for their employees and such. I always have flyers on me, dress nicely and shave. All in all I locked down three appointments for next week, the first one was completed today, a `59 Merc 220S :naughty You never know who you`ll meet when in the right spot. You at least have to get out there, be seen, be introduced and be friendly.

Coastvl
04-27-2005, 05:59 AM
I have just started by mobile business and it rained today, So I hit the road and knocked on about 50 doors or so. I managed to get 2 confirmed jobs and very good leads on about 4 others. It may have rained but it still produced the right result.

PlatinumEdition
05-04-2005, 12:50 PM
I will say this dont wait till it rains to prospect do it everyday.I have a policy to not go to bed till i talk to 10 people face to face about detailing.My grandfather which was a very wise businesses man and wealthy once told me the day you stop prospecting and talking about your business is the day the competition begins to play catch up.Even more important to your success is your willingness to learn how to be a effective saleperson and even more important is how to manage the money that comes.He also told me it is crazy we spend 80% of our time making money and 10% learning how to manage it kinda crazy isnt.Hope this helped someone to light or reignite the fire.A good Book to read is "How i raised myself from failure to success in selling"

PlatinumEdition
05-04-2005, 12:55 PM
One other thing ALWAYS ask your customer for the name and phone numbers for 3-5 friends,family,Co-Workers ect.that you can call to see if they need deatiling services.And ask your customer if it is ok to use their name when calling.NAME DROP great way to make new customers.

PhaRO
05-05-2005, 08:07 PM
Fortunately for me I do same people over and over and don`t have to do anything. If I were starting over and my schedule wasn`t full I`d fill it. Flyers and going into business do work but hopefully you don`t plan on doing that all the time. You`ll need repeat and word of mouth to last. Make sure you are first doing a good enough job that someone will use you again or recommend you. Sounds easy but in the mobile world some of these guys do stupid stuff that just pisses people off. After repeat and word of mouth the only thing that I got much from was people walking up to me. I never liked putting out flyers, cold calling, walking into place or knocking on doors. I`d rather clean a car for free in a parking lot and just have people walk up to me. If you are there enough you will be familiar to people in the area and business will come to you. Once you get a customer take care of them. If you don`t the next guy will. Many I`ve seen and I`ve done it myself at some point start trading customers. Don`t do that. For instance you have x number of cars to do and someone calls or walks up to you. You fit them in to make the money. To fit them in you rush your work and get sloppy. Maybe you show up to next people later then you said you would. Maybe you do them and don`t call a regular that gets cleaned every 3 weeks but isn`t on a fixed schedule. You really can`t fit someone in without doing something that you shouldn`t be doing.