PDA

View Full Version : Blueing on chrome pipes

rockafella
01-08-2007, 09:31 PM
I was wondering if anyone had a good way to remove the heat blueing from motorcycle pipes? I know some people use muratic acid but it will damage the pipes after a while. Below is a picture of the bike and the blueing occurs where the heat shields come together.

http://home.comcast.net/~06jackpot/images/bike2.jpg

Thank you

BobD
01-08-2007, 09:37 PM
There is actually aproduct made for just that purpose...if I find it I will edit my post.

EDIT: The Official Home Page of Blue-Job (http://www.blue-job.com/)

Found it faster than I thought.

Russecu
01-08-2007, 09:58 PM
I would check your local harley dealer. They have tons of stuff for pipes with blueing etc.

Black240SX
01-08-2007, 11:51 PM
Most any metal polish will work. It`s a microscopic layer of oxide that you are removing.

3Dog
01-09-2007, 12:04 AM
Blue Job will remove..not going to stop it from coming back though.

Mobilejay
01-09-2007, 12:24 AM
I thought that it was like stainless steel, at a certain temp the metal turns a different color. the temp that the pipes run at turn the metal blue. maybe not but thats what i thought.

Black240SX
01-09-2007, 12:48 AM
Yes, it is the heat that causes the discolouration on the surface of the metal. It`s not hard to remove, but as 3Dog mentioned it will come back.

Dan
01-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Blue is not too hard to remove, once it turns yellow, then lots of polishing can fix it. Like everyone else has mentioned, it will just come back unless you do something to fix the problem. Some people like to make the bike run so rich that it doesn`t blue popes, a bad idea. The one way to fix it with the existing pipes is to coat them internally. There are a couple of products that are made just for this.

TGates
01-09-2007, 10:31 AM
Coincidentally, I have that exact same bike in black with the exact same Arlen Ness exhaust pipes. They do not have a heatshield from the crease in the pipe back. I know this doesn`t answer your question but there is certainly a lean condition with the bike because mine haven`t even began to turn blue.

I have used Flitz on the bare metal part of the pipes to remove general road grime with good success. NXT metal polish and Poorboy`s Pro Polish are equally as nice, IMO. Just be very careful as those pipes scratch easily. I wouldn`t take any NeverDull to it for sure.

Mobilejay
01-09-2007, 12:38 PM
I meant to stay Titanium not stainless. Titanium changes colors at different temps. my bad.

rockafella
01-09-2007, 12:54 PM
Coincidentally, I have that exact same bike in black with the exact same Arlen Ness exhaust pipes. They do not have a heatshield from the crease in the pipe back. I know this doesn`t answer your question but there is certainly a lean condition with the bike because mine haven`t even began to turn blue.

I have used Flitz on the bare metal part of the pipes to remove general road grime with good success. NXT metal polish and Poorboy`s Pro Polish are equally as nice, IMO. Just be very careful as those pipes scratch easily. I wouldn`t take any NeverDull to it for sure.

Yup, it was from running lean before I installed loyds tuner. I have used mothers billet and a few other products with no luck. I have heard acid is good but I was hoping for something less caustic.