PDA

View Full Version : Regular Black Magic tire gel...

danforz
01-08-2007, 08:31 PM
Hey guys... noticed someone else said this stuff was made of silicon and bad for the tire. Any thoughts?

ConglomrationAL
01-08-2007, 11:04 PM
I have used it on tires and I think it looks great and lasts for a really long time, but just tonight my friend was washing his car and after giving the tires a good scrubbing noticed that they looked unusually brown. These tires are about 2 months old too, so i wouldn`t expect them to look that color. I`ve used it on MANY other tires and have never seen them look that brown after washing. So maybe it was a fluke.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

imported_Surfer
01-08-2007, 11:37 PM
I have some Black Magic Liquid Shine or something or other in the garage, ughhhh, like greasy oily crap, never used it again. But I believe their gels are heavy in silicone, like damn near all their products, even their trim stuff I have is crap.

If you going OTC, grab some Armor All Tire Foam to clean and leave a nice base and some Armor All Extreme Gel, that`s bascially all I use now. Isn`t greasy and gooey, applies thinly.

danforz
01-09-2007, 01:41 AM
Interesting, any other thoughts?

TrueDetailer
01-09-2007, 02:44 AM
here we go again with someone reading something about silicone being bad for you tires,trim,etc. Before it takes it toll on it, your vehicle will have been crushed and turned into cheap china made toys.

MattPersman
01-09-2007, 06:36 AM
what causes tires to crack eventually? is it the silicone in these OTC products many claim harmful? or is it from not being protected 100% of the time? :hm

lbls1
01-09-2007, 09:17 AM
I haven`t had any problems with tire shine products and tires. In fact it is my belief that they will help prolong marginally the life of the tire (with normal use).

I have recently discovered this gel, and I think it is super. I was really impressed with this product. It handily outshines even the best sprays, and it is easy to apply and lasts longer than most of the sprays I`ve used so far. It is excellent as an OTC product.

coupe
01-09-2007, 09:27 AM
I have used it on tires and I think it looks great and lasts for a really long time, but just tonight my friend was washing his car and after giving the tires a good scrubbing noticed that they looked unusually brown. These tires are about 2 months old too, so i wouldn`t expect them to look that color. I`ve used it on MANY other tires and have never seen them look that brown after washing. So maybe it was a fluke.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

New tires brown after so long for a little while. I forget exactly why, its kinda like "out gassing". The products he used will make no difference, eventually the browning will go away.

I will never understand why people worry about stupid stuff like this. Silicon wont hurt a thing, nothing to worry about.

ConglomrationAL
01-09-2007, 03:07 PM
New tires brown after so long for a little while. I forget exactly why, its kinda like "out gassing". The products he used will make no difference, eventually the browning will go away.

I understand that silicone won`t hurt the tire, i`ve used it on numerous tires and think it works great. What I don`t understand is what you said about the tires turning brown for a little while? Explain to me how that works. Thanks!

~Albert

coupe
01-09-2007, 03:24 PM
I understand that silicone won`t hurt the tire, i`ve used it on numerous tires and think it works great. What I don`t understand is what you said about the tires turning brown for a little while? Explain to me how that works. Thanks!

~Albert

The products in themselves do not cause the browning. What you call "browning" is typically referred to as "blooming". The sidewalls are designed that way from the manufacturer. The browning is in the chemical makeup of the tire and designed to surface when the tires are heated up to protect them from oxidizing. You might try a google search on "tires" and "blooming" for more information.

Jo Donny
01-09-2007, 06:49 PM
Well that`s good to know that my new Potenza`s aren`t being eaten away by a product I like so much.

I really like how long this gel lasts for being inexpensive, and also with more coats of it you get a real intense shine if that`s what you want. I personally prefer an pretty shiny tire. Yeah the stuff is gooey I guess, but who cares when it performs great.