PDA

View Full Version : So I get this call a few ago.........

Pages : [1] 2

a.k.a. Patrick
01-08-2007, 02:41 PM
"I was just wondering, do you do motorcycles?"

So I said, "no". And apologized.

The question is, "Should I?"

Any other detailers, "Do motorcycles?"

And if so, give me some pointers, prices, tips etc......I may just call her back.......

Grimm
01-08-2007, 02:46 PM
Well after just reading Justin`s post in CNB, it sounds like they are just as much, if not more work than a car.

BobD
01-08-2007, 02:49 PM
I have done a few. The usually don`t get nearly as dirty as cars but their is a ton of little parts you have to show detail to. One tip I can give you is to buy a blow vac or air compressor to blow all of the water out of the crevices.

sixty7mustang22
01-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Plus, to do paint clean-up, you generally have to work around a lot of stickers.

BobD
01-08-2007, 03:11 PM
Plus, to do paint clean-up, you generally have to work around a lot of stickers.

Yeah, and you usually have to do it by hand, or at least a majority of it, because a machine won`t reach. Also don`t forget about all of the chrome and stainless to clean and polish. Like I said though, most bikes are fairly clean compared to cars.

Smashraj84
01-08-2007, 03:15 PM
When I got my honda detailed it was only a little cheaper than a car if I remember correctly.

SVECobraR
01-08-2007, 03:43 PM
i do bikes, it takes me about 6 hours from start to finish. There is alot of detail to pay attention to but good products go a long way with bikes. Its pretty straight forward but don`t expect perfect results in the paint because its almost impossible to achieve, because of their jackets, zippers, and pants rubbing on the gas tank and rear fender. Or at least in my case it was impossible.

BlueZero
01-08-2007, 04:24 PM
What do you use on the chrome? I stay away from bikes because I never know what to put on the chrome because of the high temperatures. Thanks in advance!

imported_themightytimmah
01-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Depends on the bike, I do some work on import bikes - GSXRs, etc, and they`re not too bad. You`ll need either a PC with 4" pads or a rotary and some soft pads - there are lots of curves and small areas.

I usually wash with S100 total bike wash, hose off, dry completely with a leaf blower, polish paint with FPII/blue rotary pad, polish windscreen with PlastX/black rotary pad, hit exhaust pipe with Flitz and a terry towel, then wax or seal with LSP of choice (depends on color).

I try to stay away from Harleys, too much chrome. I`d do one if the money was right, but it wouldn`t be a whole lot cheaper than a car.

3Dog
01-08-2007, 06:49 PM
Thats all we do is Harleys. Its just like anything in detailing..if its your market you will have the tools to do the job and its no more or less than doing automobiles.

We use air buffers with pads from 1.5 in to 4 in. Paint that needs machine polishing needs it whether its on a car or a bike so you must be ready for that.

Doing a bike without a lift is handicapping yourself.

Dont know about other bikes but if you do Harleys..DO NOT use an air compressor to blow off water.....it will void your warranty. High air pressure will ruin seals and gaskets. And I have read about them messing up guages.

Patrick, I know you can detail and will have no problem figure out any little nuiances (?) that you run across.

If I can help specifically fell free to PM me.

hd-nut
01-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Remember HD stands for hundred dollars

and it is tough to buy anything for your

bike for that money. A lot of harley riders

don`t mind spending $100.00-$125.00 for a

detail behind Daytona HD during bike week.

Thats what they were charging in 2000

but have not been back since to know what

the job is worth today. That was for dyna`s

softails etc.......add $50.00 to $75.00 for

dressers.

a.k.a. Patrick
01-08-2007, 07:03 PM
I wouldnt know where to start...........

3Dog
01-08-2007, 07:03 PM
Remember HD stands for hundred dollars

and it is tough to buy anything for your

bike for that money. A lot of harley riders

don`t mind spending $100.00-$125.00 for a

detail behind Daytona HD during bike week.

Thats what they were charging in 2000

but have not been back since to know what

the job is worth today. That was for dyna`s

softails etc.......add $50.00 to $75.00 for

dressers.

Sounds like a bargin..We charge 250.00 for a complete detail.

Scottwax
01-08-2007, 11:19 PM
I just detailed a Harley Road King today. I like detailing bikes, I get to sit on my butt for a lot of the detail!

S100 Total Cycle Cleaner is your friend, trust me. ;) ONR works fine too, as long as the bike isn`t grimey from oil.

David Fermani
01-08-2007, 11:54 PM
Think of all the money you`ll save by not having to dress the tires.