PDA

View Full Version : First time really detailing by hand

imported_wagonproject
01-06-2007, 10:47 PM
Well I would like to get some advice on what to do to my white 1998 jimmy thats approaching the 180,000 mile mark. I would like to make the white just a little nicer. I am not looking at buying the PC yet as all my money is going to my race quad, just looking at doing it by hand. I did the frame/wheel wells with some simple green/water and was amazed at what it did. My question is can I just use some rubbing compound, then some polish and wax by hand? I know its probably a stupid question, just thought I would ask before I commit to doing it tomorrow, lol.

imported_JoshVette
01-06-2007, 11:13 PM
Well I would like to get some advice on what to do to my white 1998 jimmy thats approaching the 180,000 mile mark. I would like to make the white just a little nicer. I am not looking at buying the PC yet as all my money is going to my race quad, just looking at doing it by hand. I did the frame/wheel wells with some simple green/water and was amazed at what it did. My question is can I just use some rubbing compound, then some polish and wax by hand? I know its probably a stupid question, just thought I would ask before I commit to doing it tomorrow, lol.

You can do all that by hand, but I don`t know how much affect it will have on it all......

If you just want it to look better and are doing it all by hand, I`d recommend claybaring it and then go over it with a good paint cleaner, then polish then sealent.

BMW335i
01-06-2007, 11:17 PM
You can do all that by hand, but I don`t know how much affect it will have on it all......

If you just want it to look better and are doing it all by hand, I`d recommend claybaring it and then go over it with a good paint cleaner, then polish then sealent.

+1, I am going to buy the JW, Prime Strong and Acrylic Jett Trigger...a nice, easy two step (not including clay) that will look great for a hand detail.

imported_wagonproject
01-06-2007, 11:36 PM
Can the paint cleaner be bought at a local store. never seen it. (like meijers, target, etc..)

Bbasso
01-07-2007, 02:07 AM
Why not just get it detailed by someone who is affordable? If you have no clue, you might do more harm then good.

lp2137
01-07-2007, 03:29 AM
It`s good that you want to take care of your car and you should start out here:

Detailing Tips & Car Care How-To Information | A complete Detailing Guide (http://autopia-carcare.com/how-to.html)

That`ll cover all the basics on what you need to know and how you should go about detailing your car.

And welcome to Autopia, I think you`ll find alot of useful info on here.

Accumulator
01-07-2007, 01:34 PM
wagonproject- Welcome to Autopia!

I have a `00 Blazer, bought *very* used (to put it politely) so maybe my $0.02 will be helpful.

The clear on these is pretty hard, tough to do much by hand. Unfortunately, IMO, there are no OTC products that`re both easy to use and effective.

No matter what you do for polish and wax, IMO you oughta clay it. You can find Mother`s and ClayMagic in autoparts stores. Then I`d just polish and wax, trying for "better" instead of "perfect".

Hands-down product choice: 1Z Paint Polish topped with Collinite wax. You can even use these on the black plastic trim (at least they worked fine on my Blazer). User-friendly in the extreme and quite effective. Gotta order the 1Z (try Aloha & Welcome to Our Oasis for All Your Auto Detailing Supplies & Accessories (http://www.pakshak.com/index.html) ) dunno if you can get the Collinite locally (PakShak has it too). Seriously, I`ve used a lot of stuff and this is the only way I can see you getting a nice improvement by hand without really knocking yourself out with the effort. No kidding, the cost and hassle of ordering the 1Z will be utterly outweighed by how well/easily it`ll do the job, nothing like it for working by hand. And the Collinite will not only look good and bead like crazy, it`ll last a long time.

BlueBoxer1
01-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Which Collinite wax, I think they make 4. And is the 845 an LSP?

Accumulator
01-08-2007, 12:41 PM
Which Collinite wax, I think they make 4. And is the 845 an LSP?

I genenerally prefer their 476S paste (the 885 is the same stuff in a bigger can). The 845 Insulator Wax *is* an LSP and it`s very user-friendly (at least after you shake it up forever).

The 845 is the wax I used on the Blazer`s black plastic trim, no staining or other problems.