PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Question: When to use OHC, OC?

BlueBoxer1
01-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Well I`m getting ready to detail a brand new car. I was initially advised that I didn`t need to use any compound (either OHC or OC) becuase the paint is new. Heck I could even skip the polish unless there were swirls or marrs was the advice I got. Now I see alot of guys using OHC and OC even on cars that look pretty good. So when is the appropriate time to use OHC or OC? Should it only be used on serious paint issues or is it broader than that?

imported_Detailing Technology
01-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Stick with Optimum Car Polish, Menzerna FPII, or Poorboys SSR 1 for a new car IF ANYTHING...

imported_Detailing Technology
01-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Unless the car has been through the locar car wash a few dozen times or driven through some bushes.

Juztang
01-06-2007, 10:24 PM
There is no need to use OHC on a new car. I`ve used OC on new cars but most of the time use OP.

Anthony O.
01-06-2007, 10:29 PM
Well I`m getting ready to detail a brand new car. I was initially advised that I didn`t need to use any compound (either OHC or OC) becuase the paint is new. Heck I could even skip the polish unless there were swirls or marrs was the advice I got. Now I see alot of guys using OHC and OC even on cars that look pretty good. So when is the appropriate time to use OHC or OC? Should it only be used on serious paint issues or is it broader than that?

The paint condition will be the deciding factor. I have done alot of new cars, fresh off the truck and I have seen just as many train wrecks as I have those near perfection....it`s a crap shoot.

If you look at the car in the sun and it looks pretty nice, meaning it has minimal swirls/marring, then I would reach for the Optimum Polish first or the PoliSeal.

If that doesn`t look like it`s going to do the trick then try Optimum Polish with a stronger pad or the PoliSeal with a stringer pad.

So my attack would be (in order of least aggressive first):

PoliSeal with a finishing/polishing pad.

PoliSeal with orange pad (depending on color, dark paints I may skip)

OCP with a polishing pad

OCP with an orange pad

Hyper with a finishing pad

Hyper with a polishing pad

Hyper with an orange pad

If the OCP is needed then use the PS to finish

If the Hyper is needed then go Hyper>OCP>PS

Hope that helps,

Anthony

Scottwax
01-07-2007, 12:40 AM
If people are using OHC on new or new looking cars, then either they are dealing with really hard paint or defects the camera isn`t picking up.

Anthony listed some really good advice. Also note he jumps polish aggressiveness before the pad. Cutting pads tend to increase marring more than jumping to a more aggressive polish using a polishing pad.

imported_DieselMDX
01-07-2007, 12:47 AM
The paint condition will be the deciding factor. I have done alot of new cars, fresh off the truck and I have seen just as many train wrecks as I have those near perfection....it`s a crap shoot.

If you look at the car in the sun and it looks pretty nice, meaning it has minimal swirls/marring, then I would reach for the Optimum Polish first or the PoliSeal.

If that doesn`t look like it`s going to do the trick then try Optimum Polish with a stronger pad or the PoliSeal with a stringer pad.

So my attack would be (in order of least aggressive first):

PoliSeal with a finishing/polishing pad.

PoliSeal with orange pad (depending on color, dark paints I may skip)

OCP with a polishing pad

OCP with an orange pad

Hyper with a finishing pad

Hyper with a polishing pad

Hyper with an orange pad

If the OCP is needed then use the PS to finish

If the Hyper is needed then go Hyper>OCP>PS

Hope that helps,

Anthony

great post!