PDA

View Full Version : can a "wax" prevent rust?

wannafbody
01-05-2007, 09:06 PM
After 12 washings Klasse was 8th with a 0.68% loss of gloss and Zaino was 14th with a 1.30% loss in gloss.

Resistence to corrosion Klasse was in the 5 catagory and Zaino was in the 1 catagory out of 6.

No. 1 catagory was - excellent, little or no rust whereas 5 was Bad, more rust than the control panel. The Control Panel which had no wax or sealant on it was in the 3 catagory which was Fair, some rust.

found this little section. It seems as if zaino has good protective abilities. I believe this was the older, non Pro versions and I`m sure the newer products fare as well if not better. I also believe that the pro versions hold their gloss better.

Black240SX
01-05-2007, 11:44 PM
Where did you find that information?

wannafbody
01-06-2007, 12:23 AM
Where did you find that information?

I believe that was posted by a guy named Bud who tested about 25 products some time ago. It was somewhere on the detailing foum at web-cars.com Granted I don`t think he`s a Zaino fan as he sells a different line but it seems as if he was honest about it`s protective abilites.

mikebai1990
01-06-2007, 10:48 AM
If the panels have base paint and clearcoat on it, I think that any type of wax protection will prevent rust. But if it`s bare metal, I`m not sure.

Eliot Ness
01-06-2007, 11:03 AM
......Resistence to corrosion Klasse was in the 5 catagory and Zaino was in the 1 catagory out of 6.

No. 1 catagory was - excellent, little or no rust whereas 5 was Bad, more rust than the control panel. The Control Panel which had no wax or sealant on it was in the 3 catagory which was Fair, some rust........Doesn`t that send some red flags as to the validity of this test? So you (or this tester) are saying that Klasse promotes rust?

It doesn`t make sense to me and w/o posting the entire test process and results, or at least a direct link where it can be found, that little bit of info you posted is meaningless.

wannafbody
01-06-2007, 11:26 AM
Doesn`t that send some red flags as to the validity of this test? So you (or this tester) are saying that Klasse promotes rust?

It doesn`t make sense to me and w/o posting the entire test process and results, or at least a direct link where it can be found, that little bit of info you posted is meaningless.

Maybe water based products start the rust process(or promotes chemical oxidation) on bare metal before the product dries and cures:nixweiss

Accumulator
01-06-2007, 02:25 PM
All the LSPs I`ve used (that I can think of) will retard corrosion. I`ve had to-the-metal stonechps that stayed basically (yeah, that`s a qualifier ;) ) rust-free for many, many years with just regular polish/paintcleaners and wax/sealants. The chips on the Jag`s hood stayed fine for over 20 years with either Malm`s or SRP/Souveran on them (my painter finally touched them up without my permission because they bugged him so much and yeah I read him the riot act for doing it).

I have similar chips on all our vehicles and the rust never gets bad enough to spread or become a real problem as long as I keep them LSPed. E.g., BF works great on lightly surface-rusted suspension parts (satin-black paint of dubious coverage/quality).

I`ve treated chips on the MPV with the Klasse twins and they sure didn`t rust as badly as (let alone worse than :rolleyes: ) untreated bare metal.

Eliot Ness
01-06-2007, 02:33 PM
......I`ve treated chips on the MPV with the Klasse twins and they sure didn`t rust as badly as (let alone worse than :rolleyes: ) untreated bare metal.Although I haven`t used the twins on stone chips or chrome, I have used various waxes and my experience was the same as yours, it prevented rust (on good chrome) or kept rust from returning on chips.

If Klasse made metal rust worse than being untreated, there would sure be a lot of unhappy campers that use the twins on their chrome wheels.

David Fermani
01-06-2007, 07:24 PM
All the LSPs I`ve used (that I can think of) will retard corrosion. I`ve had to-the-metal stonechps that stayed basically (yeah, that`s a qualifier ;) ) rust-free for many, many years with just regular polish/paintcleaners and wax/sealants. The chips on the Jag`s hood stayed fine for over 20 years with either Malm`s or SRP/Souveran on them (my painter finally touched them up without my permission because they bugged him so much and yeah I read him the riot act for doing it).

I have similar chips on all our vehicles and the rust never gets bad enough to spread or become a real problem as long as I keep them LSPed.

I`ve treated chips on the MPV with the Klasse twins and they sure didn`t rust as badly as (let alone worse than :rolleyes: ) untreated bare metal.

I agree with you on this. I don`t think I`d switch to another product if it claimed to be better at preventing corrosion (unless it was undercoating). :chuckle:

pogo123
01-06-2007, 07:37 PM
I believe that was posted by a guy named Bud who tested about 25 products some time ago.

Well, there you go then. If a guy named "Bud" posted it how can it be anything but true? It wasn`t Bud Bundy by any chance was it?:hairpull

wannafbody
01-06-2007, 07:41 PM
Well, there you go then. If a guy named "Bud" posted it how can it be anything but true? It wasn`t Bud Bundy by any chance was it?:hairpull

Thank you Einstein:bow When you do a 25 wax test post your results:nana:

PRB
01-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Thank you Einstein:bow When you do a 25 wax test post your results:nana:

So far, your test only showed us two "waxes". :welcome