PDA

View Full Version : Kinda confused...pad vs polish

2StepsAhead
01-05-2007, 01:54 PM
I did my friends impreza rs already and I got rid of a ton of swirls, now I have my gf`s sti to do which is in the same condition but since she`s a little "harsher" on her paint so I want to leave as much clear as possible so...

What`s the difference between lets say optimum polish on a cutting pad vs compound on a polishing pad? I mean I know from reading I should go the least aggressive path as possible but do I try and keep the pad doing the work or the polish? Should I try to do the polish on a white and if that doesn`t work try the polish on a cutting pad? Or do I go from polish on white pad to compound on a white pad?

imported_JoshVette
01-05-2007, 02:48 PM
I did my friends impreza rs already and I got rid of a ton of swirls, now I have my gf`s sti to do which is in the same condition but since she`s a little "harsher" on her paint so I want to leave as much clear as possible so...

What`s the difference between lets say optimum polish on a cutting pad vs compound on a polishing pad? I mean I know from reading I should go the least aggressive path as possible but do I try and keep the pad doing the work or the polish? Should I try to do the polish on a white and if that doesn`t work try the polish on a cutting pad? Or do I go from polish on white pad to compound on a white pad?

If you want to see results, don`t use a compound with a polish pad.

Cutting chemicals go with cutting pads, polish chemicals with polish pads otherwise you won`t see the results they`re intended to give you.

You will not significantly reduce any clearcoat, I know a good detailer who measured his clearcoat with TMG (thickness measure guage) before and after he thoroughly detailed it with compounds, cleaners, rotary buffer and then polished multiple times with PC and told me the difference was not noticable to the TMG, it measured the same as the first time.

Don`t worry, you won`t hurt your car unless you sit a rotary in one spot for two long.

Hope this helps.