PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Video

mirabal
04-22-2005, 09:43 AM
A few week`s ago I found a step by step detailing video in which a black truck was being worked on. The video was broken up into steps (washing, claying, etc.). I cannot find that link anymore and wondered whether anyone knew what it is.

Could someone advise?

cpoly
04-22-2005, 09:52 AM
Are you talking about the videos on Adam`s Polish site?

www.adamspolishes.com

JaredPointer
04-22-2005, 10:06 AM
There`s no reason to double post, but yeah, that`s the one you`re thinking of.

mirabal
04-22-2005, 10:32 AM
You are both right! Thank you very much. I will be detailing for the first time. I`ll take some before and after pictures and share them.

Boss_429
04-22-2005, 03:00 PM
mirabal,

Sure hope you come back to read this...

Anyhow, keep in mind that some detailing videos are used primarily for "marketing" a vendors products, and there is certainly nothing wrong with that… it is their money. Unfortunately, that intent sometimes causes the video to loose its focus on the “detailing” aspect of the process. While you certainly have to admire someone for going to all the trouble and expense of creating videos, you still have to evaluate them with their intent in mind. With that said, let me point out a few things with just the “Washing” videos that you want to consider while viewing them at that site:

Please don’t use the same brush on your tires, wheels, wheel wells and engine compartment. At least use a brush designed for wheels, and keep it dedicated to that purpose. Use a separate brush for the grungy areas. I have a separate brush for all four of those areas.

Please use two buckets for your car washing, with at least one grit guard (for the rinse bucket). Using a grit guard in both buckets is even better. With one bucket, you run the risk of getting the dirt (on the bottom and in the suds) on to the mitt when you scrub the mitt on the grit guard.

Please measure out your car wash solution as directed on the label. Too much car wash can strip wax, or leave a haze. Too little car wash solution can leave you short on lubrication and cleaning ability.

Please use at least a couple high quality wash mitts on your vehicle. No matter how much suds and water the mitt holds. This is especially true of synthetic mitts, which sometimes hold on to dirt particles more than natural mitts (cotton and sheepskin).

Please don’t use the same mitt that you use on the paint………. on the underside of the hood.

After washing the tires, wheels, wheel wells and other grungy areas first, please start by washing from the top…….. down the vehicle. Don’t just start anywhere. Starting from the top and working your way down helps float/rinse/flush dirt off the lower panels before you even get to them. If you wash the lower panels before the upper panels, dirt from the upper panels (or glass) may get on the lower panels that you have already washed. This can end up being a “swirl nightmare” when you dry the paint.

No matter how much suds and water your mitt holds, please minimize how much paint you wash with one “dip” into the bucket. If the paint is “dirty”, the mitt will be “dirty”. One panel, sometimes less is plenty, depending on how dirty the vehicle is. Don’t try and wash half the vehicle with one dip in the bucket even if there seems to be lots of water and suds in the mitt. Stop and rinse the mitt out in the rinse bucket with the grit guard and check the mitt before you dip it in the suds bucket. If it’s not perfectly clean, rinse it more with a powerful spray from hose before you allow it to touch the paint. I prefer mitts over the pads, as they allow you to rinse from the inside of the mitt to the outside when necessary. With a pad, you don’t know what’s “in there”.

It has been a while since I viewed those videos, so this is only the “tip of the iceberg” from what I can remember about them. Anyhow, I think you will get the point. Ask around and read around before you take a few videos as being gospel.

Just because somebody sells detailing products, or has been "detailing" a long time, doesn`t mean they are doing things in the best manner.

Of course, these are just my opinions and you should not be taken as gospel either.

Hope this helps.

Debelli
04-22-2005, 08:31 PM
BOSS, thanks for those tips you posted - always something more to learn through the great members of this site!:D

Boss_429
04-22-2005, 08:39 PM
BOSS, thanks for those tips you posted - always something more to learn through the great members of this site!:D
You are welcome Deb. I was just pointing out some of the things I didn`t agree with in the washing videos. There are a number of things in the other videos that should also be pointed out at some time.

fatchance
04-22-2005, 10:23 PM
Boss

Thanks for your opinion. There was some good info in your post. I only detail my car, but info such as yours keeps it looking great and easily maintained.

fatchance

klnyc
04-23-2005, 10:07 AM
Good advice Boss :headbang
I was keep saying to my self..when you going stop writing :lmfao

Anyone know there was another video from a company calld "Lane". I saw an guy doing a red Jeep Cherooke.

infoman1
04-24-2005, 07:24 AM
In my opinion this video is geared toward marketing more than common sense.
There is a lot of misinformation and plain bad technique illustrated. The wheel and washing segment broke several cardinal rules and made me cringe if this was my car. To name a few, high pressure water on the finish (never), sides and panels before hood, trunk, roof (never), same brush on tires and wheels (never), one bucket wash, (rarely). I am no pro just a weekender, and thats my 2 cents.

Boss_429
04-24-2005, 07:34 AM
In my opinion this video is geared toward marketing more than common sense.
There is a lot of misinformation and plain bad technique illustrated. The wheel and washing segment broke several cardinal rules and made me cringe if this was my car. To name a few, high pressure water on the finish (never), sides and panels before hood, trunk, roof (never), same brush on tires and wheels (never), one bucket wash, (rarely). I am no pro just a weekender, and thats my 2 cents.
Exactly the point of my previous post. It points out the things you mention and more. They are indeed "marketing" videos and not "detailing" videos.

luigi5
04-24-2005, 11:32 AM
I always thought from my experience. I always start by rinsing everything off so it dont be as hot the start from engine. Thats my opinoin

matthiasj
04-24-2005, 05:21 PM
not a bad video kinda "in a nutshell" i would NEVER spray that high powered water on my car, and i always use 2 wash buckets.

97FLAIRSIDE
04-24-2005, 07:47 PM
The videos to me aren`t bad for a "general" get you started, but after reading boss`s post i saw alot of the no-no`s and was like thats not "outstanding"

Boss_429
04-24-2005, 08:57 PM
but after reading boss`s post i saw alot of the no-no`s and was like thats not "outstanding"
Yepper! :D